Hosting a simple, yet elegant Mother’s Day Brunch is a wonderful way to celebrate the special women in our lives.
Simply dress up your table with some pretty linens and fresh flowers – and most important – keep the menu simple, yet delicious. A selection of easy recipes that you can prepare in advance makes it much easier to put together a beautiful and tasty menu with very little stress.
To help, I’m sharing a decadent treat from my new cookbook, Everyday Grain-Free Baking – Chocolate Lovers Cupcakes! And they’re topped with a luscious dairy-free Strawberry Frosting that I've created using Honeyville’s delicious freeze dried strawberries. These elegant and scrumptious cupcakes are perfect for Mother’s Day, or any special day you’d like to celebrate!
And in case you’re wondering how you can use freeze-dried strawberries to create even more delightful, all-natural treats, join me over at The Nourishing Home for “15 Fabulous Ways to Enjoy Freeze-Dried Strawberries.” You’ll be amazed at the tasty treats you can create using Honeyville’s flavorful dried strawberries.
Wishing all of you amazing Moms out there a very special and Happy Mother’s Day!
Blessings, Kelly at The Nourishing Home
Chocolate Lovers Cupcakes with Strawberry Frosting (Grain-Free, Dairy-Free)
Reprinted with permission from the Everyday Grain-Free Baking Cookbook
Yield: 10 cupcakes
For the chocolate cupcakes
1 3/4 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
1 Tbsp Honeyville Organic Coconut Flour
1 Tbsp, plus 1 tsp Honeyville Baker's Cocoa Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/4 tsp Sea Salt
1/4 cup dairy-free Mini Chocolate Chips
1/3 cup Honeyville Raw Mountain Honey
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter (or Palm Shortening)
2 Tbsp pure Coconut Milk
1 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 large Eggs, plus 1 Egg White
For the strawberry frosting
3/4 cup Honeyville Freeze Dried Strawberries
1 cup Palm Shortening
1/3 cup Coconut Butter
1/2 cup Honeyville Raw Mountain Honey
2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp pure Almond Extract
1. For the chocolate cupcakes: Preheat oven to 325°F. Place 10 parchment muffin liners into a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
2. In a food processor, combine the almond flour, coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a medium saucepan, add all of the remaining ingredients except the eggs and egg white. Warm them over low heat, whisking the ingredients together until the chocolate is melted and everything is well incorporated.
4. Transfer the chocolate mixture to the food processor, using a rubber spatula to help scrape out all of the chocolate from the pan.
5. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process until the batter is smooth and creamy (about 25–30 seconds).
6. Add the eggs and egg white. Cover and pulse a few times to combine. Then process just enough to blend the eggs into the batter (about 10–15 seconds). Use a thin spatula as needed to scrape down the sides as needed.
7. Carefully spoon the cupcake batter into the lined muffin cups. Lightly tap the muffin tin on a kitchen towel on the counter to even out the tops.
8. Bake 18–20 minutes until light golden brown along edges and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool in muffin tin about 3-5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
9. For the strawberry frosting: In a blender, add the freeze-dried strawberries and process until they become a fine powder. Gently tap sides of container to help powder settle to bottom. Set aside.
10. In a large mixing bowl, add the palm shortening and coconut butter (see recipe note below). Using a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, or an electric hand mixer, mix at medium-high speed approximately 2 minutes, until fluffy and creamy.
11. Add the powdered dried strawberries, honey, vanilla and almond extract. Whisk on high until frosting is light and fluffy (about 1–2 minutes), scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
12. Place frosting in a piping bag fitted with decorative tip, or simply spread each cupcake with an even amount of the strawberry frosting. Serve immediately, or see recipe note below for storing cupcakes. Enjoy!
• For best flavor and texture, it’s important to use palm shortening and coconut butter as called for in the frosting recipe. If you’re not familiar with these two ingredients, click on their names here or in the ingredient listing for more details.
• To save time, you can prepare the cupcakes up to two days in advance and store them in the fridge in an airtight container until ready to serve.