Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Almond Flour Arepas




















I love Arepas! These delicious delights are a flatbread, typically used in Columbian and Venezuelan cuisine. Unfortunately corn (the main ingredient in most traditional arepas) and I are not best friends. That's why I came up with an almond flour version.

Using Honeyville's versatile and super delicious Blanched Almond Flour, I created the perfect Arepas that's gluten-free, paleo, and a recipe you and your family must try. This South American dish is amazing topped with stewed chicken, fresh guacamole and lime. If you prefer a vegetarian version it's incredible with wild sauteed mushrooms! Enjoy!

Almond Flour Arepas


Ingredients:
1 cup Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 cup Water
2 Eggs
1/2 cup grated Goat Gouda
1/4 cup Scallions
4 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided

Optional toppings: guacamole, wild mushrooms or shredded chicken

Directions:
Whisk all ingredients together and let sit for 5 min. Heat medium sized skillet and add 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Turn heat to low and pour in 1/4 of batter. Reduce heat to low and cook until browned on one side 3-4 minutes. Flip over and cook on other side. Repeat to make 4-6 arepas. Serve warm with optional toppings.

Happy Eating!
Lyn-Genet
lyngenet.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for this recipe. I am from Colombia and I have had arepas for year because I cannot eat corn. I tried this recipe and it was great. It was delicious. I am so happy.

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to substitute another type of cheese? I made these because they sounded so good, but mine did not turn out at all like your picture. They would not hold together and were very mealy. Any suggestions? I did use a mild cheddar because I have no place to purchase goat gouda.

Anonymous said...

So 1 tbsp of the oil is for cooking and 3 tbsps go into the recipe mix???

Nikki said...

Any sub for the dairy in this? Cannot have cheese (butter ok). I'm so excited to try this recipe otherwise. Grew up with arepas 1-2x per week. Such a comfort food for me but now that I've been off corn it's been a sad void in my diet. As it would be for any Venezuelan I suppose!!

In The Kitchen With Honeyville said...

Hi, Nikki. You might try soy milk. Thank you!

Nikki said...

Soy is off my menu as well. Almond?

Anonymous said...

Great Idea!!! But it is COLOMBIA not ColUmbia. I'm going to make this right now. Thank you.