Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Almond Flour Pound Cake

















With Passover just around the corner, I've been on the look out for a new dessert recipe. I usually make a flourless chocolate cake each year – and I will do that for the first night of Passover – but for the second night, I'd like to make something with my almond flour. I find that almond flour cooks up moist and fluffy – and it’s way better for you health-wise than potato flour/starch, which is typically used in Passover desserts and which is void of any nutritional value.

Like many Celiacs or gluten intolerants, the wonderful world of specialty flours wasn't on my radar until I became gluten-free. There was a time in my life when I didn't know all these amazing flours existed, and now that I do, Passover has become easy, delicious, and healthy too!

I do offer one caveat for anyone using almond flour for Passover. While Honeyville Almond Flour is labeled Kosher-Parve, it is not labeled as “Kosher for Passover.”  Given that the only ingredient in Honeyville Almond Flour is almond flour, I’m fine with using a fresh bag for all my Passover baking needs. I do recommend using a fresh bag of almond flour to ensure no prior cross contamination with other ingredients that wouldn't be okay for Passover (like rice flour, or corn syrup, etc.). I also open a new can of baking powder and new bottle of vanilla extract, along with other seasonings, to make recipes for Passover, just to ensure no cross contamination. It’s a good practice to use all new ingredients when baking and cooking for the holiday.

(If you are in absolute strict observance of Passover, please make sure you check all ingredients to your satisfaction before making any recipe. I am not an expert on Kosher-certified foods.)

The recipe I'm sharing today is one I adapted from a gluten-free cookbook my best friend gave me long ago. It’s called “Favorite Brand Name 3-in-1 Gluten-Free.”  Not a sexy name, and the book is fairly plain, but I've pulled many great recipes from its pages.  The book is out of print – but the recipes live on in my GF kitchen.

In the pages of the cookbook there is a recipe for Almond Flour Pound Cake.  I decided to make this cake, along with the addition of a coffee cake streusel, to make the perfect dessert for my Passover Seder. Remember, just because it’s Passover-friendly doesn't mean you can't enjoy this wonderful cake year-round. It’s gluten-free, protein-rich, and oh-so-moist and yummy!

Almond Flour Pound Cake with Coffee Cake Streusel













Ingredients:
For the Cake:
½ cup (1 stick) of Butter, room temperature
4 oz of Cream Cheese, softened
¾ cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
2 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
*Use 2 Tbsp extra almond flour if at high altitude
4 Eggs
1 tsp Baking Powder
½ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Ground Ginger
¼ tsp Ground Cardamom

For the Streusel:
½ cup Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
2 tsp Cinnamon
½ cup Brown Sugar
¼ tsp Allspice
¼ tsp Salt
1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
4 Tbsp Butter – room temperature

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9x5" loaf pan with cooking spray.

In your mixer, mix cream cheese, butter and sugar at medium speed.

Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each addition. Add vanilla and continue to mix.

In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and cardamom. Then add dry mixture slowly to wet mixture, mixing until blended. Set aside.

(If at high altitude, I would recommend adding an extra 2 tablespoons of almond flour at this point. I live in Denver and I wish I had added it to soak up some of the moisture in this cake – of course I forgot!)

Now prepare the streusel by combining all the streusel ingredients in a bowl. Press and mix with a fork until thoroughly combined.

Split the streusel mixture in half. You'll want to add half to the middle of the cake, and half on top.  Pour half of the cake mixture into the pan. Top with half of the streusel topping. Add the rest of the cake mixture, then top with rest of the streusel topping.

Bake 45-55 minutes until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  It’s very important that you cook this thoroughly as it’s a moist cake.

Enjoy year-round and on Passover. Chag Sameach!

Jenny Finke
GoodForYouGlutenFree.com

No comments: