Thursday, September 25, 2014

Almond Flour Carrot Cake Donuts Recipe



Carrot-Cake-Donuts













Greetings and Happy Fall! I can’t tell you how much I've been waiting to say that. Good-bye to hot summer days and hello to cool crisp fall days and chilly fall nights. I love sweater and blanket weather!

For today’s Honeyville guest post (which I am thrilled to be doing again), I’m going to debut my recipe for Carrot Cake Donuts topped with Cream Cheese Frosting.  How does that sound for yummy? These donuts will literally allow you to “have your cake and eat it too”…and for breakfast, at that! I really love carrot cake, but since going grain and gluten-free a couple of years ago, it isn't something I've been able to enjoy…until now, that is! These delicious donuts are totally wheat, grain and gluten-free and contain no added sugar.

For those of you that have never eaten carrot cake before (or have been hesitant to since it’s made with “vegetables”), it’s a delicious spiced dessert cake that’s moist, dense, sweet and it contains grated carrots. It’s typically topped with cream cheese frosting. There are a variety of ingredients folks like to add to their carrot cake, such as nuts, raisins, pineapple, etc. Traditional carrot cake recipes derive a lot of their moisture from the large amounts of oil added (as much as a cup or more). My donuts contain a little coconut oil, but they also get their moisture from unsweetened applesauce, as well.

Since I no longer eat grains, gluten or added sugar, I created a carrot cake recipe that didn't skimp on flavor or moistness…and better yet, it’s a carrot cake recipe that you can enjoy for BREAKFAST! It can also be a tricky little way to get your kids to eat their veggies for breakfast hidden in their donuts (shhhh, I’ll never tell). These Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting are not only good, but they are good for you! The donuts are chocked full of good things such as protein packed Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour, coconut flour, eggs, carrots, walnuts, applesauce and cinnamon all frosted with a lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting. It sounds like a perfect breakfast to me! I absolutely love enjoying one of these donuts alongside a big mug of hot coffee.

To sweeten the donuts, I substituted Swerve along with a touch of stevia for the sugar to help reduce the sugar and carbohydrate content.  I always loved adding pineapple added to my carrot cake, but unfortunately it’s one of those fruits that are higher in sugar, so I try to stay away from it. In order to get the pineapple flavor I love so much into these donuts, I used pure pineapple extract and unsweetened applesauce to duplicate the flavor and moistness pineapple adds. It worked beautifully. If you don’t have pineapple extract, you could substitute orange extract or a couple teaspoons of orange zest instead. I hope you enjoy these donuts as much as I do. We all need a little “cake for breakfast” sometimes!  Thanks to Honeyville's beautiful blanched almond flour, I am able to recreate most of my old favorites, like this recipe. I trust its quality, consistency and the amazing results I get every time when using it. It has truly helped make my low carb, gluten-free lifestyle a breeze!

I hope you enjoy my recipe for Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting. If you like eating cake for breakfast or any other time of the day…you need to try this recipe! Enjoy!

If you’d like to find more grain free recipes like this one, please check out my blog, Gourmet Girl Cooks!

Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting

Almond-Flour-Donuts











Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
1/4 cup Honeyville Organic Coconut Flour
3/4 cup confectioners style Swerve (or other powdered sweetener)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Sea Salt
2 tsp Ground Cinnamon
Dash Nutmeg
1/4 cup Buttermilk
3 large Eggs
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup unsweetened Applesauce
2 Tbsp Coconut Oil or melted Butter
1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
1 tsp pure Pineapple extract (or orange extract)
1/2 tsp liquid stevia, or to taste
1-1/2 cups grated Carrots (about 3 medium carrots)
1/2 cup finely chopped Walnuts, divided

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
4 ounces softened brick style Cream Cheese (half of an 8-ounce brick)
4 Tbsp softened Butter
4 Tbsp Heavy Cream
1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
1/4 cup powdered Swerve (or preferred sweetener), to taste.

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a nonstick 6-cavity donut mold pan (I use coconut oil) and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, powdered sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and dash of nutmeg.

In a separate bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vinegar, applesauce, coconut oil, vanilla extract, pineapple extract, and stevia. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and combine until a soft dough is formed. Stir in carrots and 1/4 cup walnuts (reserve remaining 1/4 cup for frosting).

Spoon batter into prepared donut pan and fill about 3/4 way to the top and smooth batter with back of spoon. Bake for approximately 18 to 20 minutes or until done and springy when lightly pressed. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Flip onto wire rack and cool completely.

To make frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and cream with a hand mixer on medium speed until smooth and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add vanilla and powdered sweetener, to taste. Beat for about 30 seconds until blended and fluffy. If a softer frosting is desired, add additional cream a little at a time.


carrot-cake-doughnuts











Frost donuts and top with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts. Recipe yields approximately 12 donuts. Store frosted donuts in refrigerator and refrigerate any leftover frosting.

Nutrition Information:   For 12 donuts, each donut contains approximately: 4.2 net carbs (total carbohydrates minus fiber); 2.2 grams sugar; 4.3 grams protein


doughnuts











*Carrots add approximately 1 net carb to each donut and less than 1 gram of sugar (.67g each) 

2 comments:

Sally Asher said...

These look incredible Ayla! I am still enjoying your pumpkin spice donuts which are amazing too. Thanks for your wonderful recipes!

Gourmet Girl Cooks said...

Thanks so much Sally! So glad you are enjoying the pumpkin spice donuts and hope you enjoy these too! :-)