Monday, May 19, 2014

Morning Glory Coconut Flour Muffins Recipe

















Grain-free muffins made with fresh, whole food ingredients are one of my family’s favorite breakfast foods, which is why they can be found in one form or another in each of my weekly meal plans!

This recipe is a special favorite, which is why I’m pleased to be able to share it with you and all of my friends here at Honeyville Farms.

A blast from the past, Morning Glory Muffins first debuted in 1978 at the Morning Glory Café in Nantucket. Their popularity led to the recipe being published in Gourmet Magazine in 1981, and since then they've been enjoyed by adoring fans around the world.













This grain-free, whole food version is made using nutritious coconut flour loaded with fresh pineapple, apple and carrot. Definitely a glorious way to start the day!













Morning Glory Muffins
Yield: 10 Muffins

Ingredients:
• 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
• 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
• 4 large Eggs
• 1/4 cup pure Coconut Milk (*see note below)
• 1/4 cup pure Maple Syrup
• 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil, melted
• 1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
• 1/2 cup diced fresh Pineapple
• 1/3 cup grated Carrot
• 1/4 cup grated Apple
• 2 Tbsp unsweetened shredded Coconut

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Place 10 parchment muffin linershttp://ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com/e/ir?t=thenouhom-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B003XUL1V6 into a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.

2. In a small bowl, mix together the coconut flour, baking soda and salt.

3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, *coconut milk, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla, until well combined. (*Use pure full-fat coconut milk for best results. If you are not dairy-free, you may use whole milk with equally good results.)

4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk well to thoroughly combine, until no lumps remain and batter begins to thicken.

5. Gently fold into the batter the diced pineapple, grated carrot and apple, and shredded coconut.

6. Evenly divide the batter among the 10 muffin cups.

7. Bake for approximately 20-25 minutes, until tops and edges begin to turn a light golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.

8. Allow to cool in the pan for 5-10 minutes. Then serve and enjoy!

Wishing you and your family a Happy Memorial Day Weekend!


Blessings, Kelly at The Nourishing Home

11 comments:

Dena Norton said...

I love morning glory muffins, Kelly - these look delicious! My family will love a breakfast treat this holiday weekend :)

Livesimplymom said...

Wow! These look so yummy. Pinning and sharing. Thank you, Kelly, for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What is the approximate calorie count and fiber ammount of these? thanks

Kelly Smith said...

An easy way to calculate nutritional information is to use an online program such as this one. Simply plug-in the ingredients and the program will provide you with the info you're looking for: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator

ragdollkitchen said...

These muffins look sooo good! Love your recipes Kelly :)

Aishah said...

I've been trying to experiment with different flours lately and coconut flour is one I haven't tried yet. This recipe gives me the perfect excuse to try it. Thanks, Kelly!

Diana @ My Humble Kitchen said...

Kelly, these muffins look so yummy. I would have never of thought to add pineapples. I'm so giving this one a try!

Deb said...

Two thumbs up from Hubby & Child! I can't give a thumbs up because my hands are busy shoving another bite into my mouth. The muffins remind me of Pineapple Upside Down Cake- my childhood favorite. Delicious and moist. Thank you!

Renee P. said...

I had a different recipe for coconut flour morning glory muffins and they were good but too moist (lots of carrot & apple, not as much flour). I just made your version and I liked it better. I used plumped raisins (soaked in hot water) instead of pineapple because of what I had on-hand. I made a double recipe so that I can put 1 doz in the freezer for when we go camping in a few weeks. Thanks for another great recipe, Kelly!

Kelly Smith said...

So glad you all are enjoying these yummy muffins too! Thanks for taking the time to leave a kind note! Blessings, Kelly

angela said...

hi kelly - do you mean the full-fat (thicker) coconut milk out of the can (in the non refrigeration section of the grocery store)? Or the cold in the carton? Also, do you have a good substitute for the pineapple? My son is not a fan of pineapple...