Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Almond Flour Skillet Sour Cream Coffee Cake

















Greetings again Honeyville Fans! For those of you that don’t know me, my name is Ayla and I am a low carb, wheat, grain, and gluten-free, “no added sugar” food blogger, also known as “Gourmet Girl Cooks”.  Over the past couple of years, I have created and shared hundreds of wheat, grain and gluten-free recipes on my blog, Gourmet Girl Cooks. I am so excited to be invited to do another guest post on Honeyville’s blog since I’ve been using their blanched almond flour for almost 2 years now. Hands down, it’s my favorite almond flour to cook and bake with (and I have bought and tried numerous other brands).

Honeyville’s Blanched Almond Flour has been such a blessing with helping me achieve my personal health goals while also keeping me from feeling deprived. It has allowed me to continue to enjoy a variety of delicious baked goods and foods that don’t adversely affect my health.


One of my favorite coffee cakes that I used to make was a sour cream coffee cake that had a walnut, cinnamon, and sugar streusel topping. It was moist, dense, rich and delicious. I decided to see if I could come up with a wheat and sugar free version of that coffee cake. I am very happy with how my recipe turned out. I decided to bake this coffee cake in an ovenproof skillet rather than a traditional cake pan. This allows you to cut it into beautiful pie-shaped wedges. If you have a cast iron skillet, it would work nicely in that, too. You can either serve it directly from the skillet or let it cool a bit and then slide it out onto a serving plate or platter like I did. It goes great along with a cup of coffee or tea. If you are looking for an easy and delicious coffee cake to put on your Easter breakfast table, this coffee cake fits the bill perfectly.


The batter is made with a blend of blanched almond flour, coconut flour and ground flaxseed. It also uses one of my favorite alternative sweeteners, Swerve, which is made predominantly from erythritol. These ingredients help make this coffee cake wheat, grain, gluten and sugar free. This recipe is a great way to enjoy an old favorite that I thought I wouldn’t be able to have again. It is delicious either warm or at room temperature but I prefer it best the next day. If you’d like to kick it up a notch, you could add some dark chocolate chips to either the batter or the topping. You could also substitute pecans for the walnuts if you prefer or just omit them altogether. I add vanilla extract and a little bit of pure maple extract to flavor the cake. If you don’t have maple extract, you could just add a little extra vanilla in its place.













Check out my recipe below. I hope you like my Skillet Sour Cream Coffee Cake as much as I do! Enjoy!

P.S. -- If you’d like to find more wheat/grain, and gluten-free, “no added sugar” recipes like this one, please check out my blog, Gourmet Girl Cooks!

 Ingredients:

For the Cake:
1/4 cup ground golden flax seed
3/4 cup Swerve Sweetener (or other granular sweetener)
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
3/4 cup Buttermilk
3 Eggs
2 Tbsp Butter, melted
1/2 cup Sour Cream
1 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp pure maple flavor, optional
Butter or Coconut Oil to grease skillet

For the Topping:
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 Tbsp Swerve Sweetener (or other granular sweetener)
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, flax, coconut flour, 3/4 cup sweetener, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; whisk to combine and break up any lumps.

In a separate small bowl, beat buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, sour cream, vanilla and optional maple flavor together. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture; mix just until combined.

In a small bowl, mix walnuts, 2 tablespoons sweetener and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together.

Generously brush or coat a 10-inch ovenproof or cast iron skillet with butter or coconut oil. Heat the skillet over medium high heat, just until hot; remove from heat. Pour batter into hot skillet; top with the cinnamon walnut mixture. Place skillet into preheated oven and bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for approximately 30 minutes. Using a rubber spatula, gently loosen and carefully slide onto a plate or platter. Cut into wedges and serve.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I omit the flax seed, as I am allergic to flax?
I love your blog!!! Keep up the good work!!!

Marian Collins said...

Looks delicious! Thanks so much!!

Anonymous said...

Love all of Gourmet Girl Cooks recipes! This one looks great.

Demetris Pierson said...

I have followed you for almost one year and this is the first time I have commented. I'm excited for you being asked to guest blog for HV.... I too use Honeyville almond flour per your suggestion and it has truly made a difference in my and my families gluten grain free lifestyle. I have made soooo many of your recipes and they have been fantabulous.... yes, that good. I check my email daily to see what Gourmet Girl has posted. Thank you so much for all of your hard work and generosity in posting your awesome recipes. I will be making this coffee cake tonight. I know my family will love it! I have made your no flip pancakes 4 times since you posted that magnificent recipe using HV almond flour. Why you might ask? Because my family absolutely loves it! Thank you again GGC.

905lovestostamp said...

Hello!!!

I have to tell you that your Gourmet Girl Cooks blog update just makes my day--I cannot WAIT to see what you have created!!! :)

LOVE the look of this recipe, yum!!! A couple of questions (I hope that's OK)--what could I use for a purely "crumb" topping instead of the nuts and butter and cinnamon? I love cinnamon and was just thinking it would be yummy as a crumb topping (I love nuts but not so much in a sweet setting, hopefully that will change). Another idea is to have a glaze, what would you suggest as a recipe, I'd love to emphasize the maple or cinnamon! Or both! Where do you buy the maple flavoring? In some recipes in "Wheat Belly", a sugarless maple syrup is there and I have no idea how to find such a product--any suggestions? Last (sorry for all the questions, I appreciate your assistance), I've been told that powdered inulin can be substituted for powdered sugar? Have you used this or do you use something else, and what do you use?

Thanks again, I love your recipes. I'd love to see a lemon cake with a glaze topping sometime, lemon is one of my all-time favorite flavors--yum!!!

I cannot wait to try this sour cream coffee cake!!!

Best wishes, Joanne Lowe

sunshine2 said...

When I need maple syrup for a recipe I use Joseph's sugar free maple syrup which I buy at Whole Foods Market.

Gourmet Girl Cooks said...

Thank you all for the kind comments. I hope you enjoy this -- I can't wait to make it again for Easter.

Joanne -- For a crumb topping, I would use as dough blender and cut in a mixture of blanched almond flour, butter, cinnamon and sweetener and then scatter it on top of the coffee cake (sort of a cinnamon butter crumb topping). I have 2 types of natural maple flavoring (one is by OliveNation and the other by Boyajian and available on Amazon I believe). The Boyajian brand has more intense maple flavor. If you want a glaze, a basic glaze with powdered sweetener (Swerve has a confectioners version or you can grind regular granular sweetener), some butter and a little cream and a touch of vanilla would make a nice glaze to put on a cooled cake. I have never used inulin before so I don't know. I have and like confectioners Swerve so that is what I use, but any of your favorite sweetener would work (except stevia because you need the bulk). Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks, again! :-)

905lovestostamp said...

sunshine 2--Thanks SO much for that tip regarding sugar-free maple syrup. I couldn't find anything like it in the stores I usually shop. But there's a Whole Foods not too far away from my doctor's office (about 45 minutes from me), so I will check that out. How kind are you to leave this for me. I feel blessed!!!

Hugs,

Joanne

905lovestostamp said...

Thank you, GGC!!!

I cannot WAIT to try this crumb topping, and the glaze too, yum!!! I am excited to know about Swerve's confectioner's version. I did buy a bag of Honeyville's sweetener, I hope I'm not asking an indiscreet question--but I'm assuming you like Swerve better, should I try Swerve too? Thinking perhaps I should wait until I've used up this large 4-pound bag. But perhaps there are times I should use Swerve over the Honeyville erythritol. I ordered it when I ordered the 5-pound bag of almond flour. I will order the Swerve confectioners version as well as check out the natural maple flavoring.

Can you tell me what the difference would be between the maple flavorings you suggest and a sugar-free maple syrup? Guessing the maple flavoring would be a whole lot more concentrated to use for baking, whereas the syrup would be something to add to a cooked pancake...

I'm kind of dumb with baking, what proportion of blanched almond flour to butter--with wheat flour I'd have a sense of the crumbs it would create, not sure with almond flour because I'm not used to baking with it...

You are so very kind to leave me these suggestions!!! I've been back eating wheat-free for a month after almost a year "away", and jeans that were tight are feeling comfy, and hopefully in a few months I'll feel more like myself. I am excited about eating, and it's all due to fantastic recipes I find here. I think I'm probably one of your most devoted followers.

Can't wait to try your sesame seed buns, I need to pick up a muffin top pan at a kitchen supply store. Would you get a silicone one or a regular metal version?

Sorry for all of these questions...

Hoping you had a wonderful Easter. Sorry I didn't reply before, just checked now to see if you'd left a reply--I was so pleased to see it!!!

Best wishes to you, and I DO see a best-selling cookbook in your future, and/or an award-winning cooking show on TV. Have you considered doing some YouTubes to demonstrate some cooking techniques--I'd love to see that and I'm sure so would the rest of your devoted blog followers! :)

Joanne