Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Whole Grain Waffles with Chef Brad

















Waffles are a mainstay in our home.  We love them.  I grew up with waffles. The smell brings back memories of country music and Saturday mornings. My mother made great waffles! I used her recipe for years and I have to say old waffle irons did a better job at baking the waffles. I love crispy waffles, while my wife loves them tender and soft. Over the years I have learned some great tricks to making waffles and our family eats them all the time. I gave up my mothers recipe, which used for it's core ingredients white flour, crisco, and whipped eggs whites.  I have no problem with the eggs, but the white flour and crisco had to go. The crisco I am sure gave them a wonderful texture, but I have no problem with that now.  

My very favorite grain when making waffles is not wheat.  I love Kamut and Brown Rice. Both mixed together or separate work well. Kamut gives them a wonderful, buttery texture while Brown Rice gives them a perfect crispy texture. I also enjoy adding Chia seed or Teff to the batter. It really  gives them a great texture and makes them healthier. Waffles can and should be a great way to start the day.  If you are making them from scratch it is the perfect way to start the day. Filled with fiber and protein, topped with fruit, it does not get any better.  

I don’t even feel guilty when using butter or sometimes whipped cream when the waffle is packed with nutrition.  I love the flip waffle irons.  I decided that the reason is they make a better, crispier waffle.  When you pour the batter on and flip it over it sticks and separates as you flip, creating a wonderful fluffy, crispy waffle.  

Waffles do not need white flour at all. The whole grains toast up giving you a wonderful nutty flavor that you just cannot get with white flour.  To me white flour taste like paste after eating whole grain waffles. Healthy can taste great,  I have proved that over and over again.  Especially when making waffles. Enjoy!

Chef Brad~America’s Grain Guy

Whole Grain Waffles


Ingredients:
4 Eggs
1/4 cup Coconut Oil, melted
3 cups Milk,  Rice Milk or Almond Milk work great
2 teaspoons Vanilla
1 teaspoon Salt
2 cups fresh ground Kamut or Brown Rice Flour (Grind on finest setting on your mill)
1/2 cup Teff, whole grain 
1 Tbsp Baking Powder 

Directions:
In a large bowl add eggs, coconut oil, milk, vanilla, and salt. Whisk well. Add flours and teff and whisk well. Make sure batter is not to thick. Add more milk if needed. Once batter in at desired consistency whisk in baking powder. Whisk well and let along. Gently ladle onto hot iron that has been sprayed with a nonstick spray. Baked until desired crispness is achieved. Top with your favorite toppings.

4 comments:

Carol said...

Will this work without the almond flour? Several family members have severe nut allergies...

In The Kitchen With Honeyville said...

Hi Carol,

We haven't tried it without the Almond Flour, but it's always worth experimenting to find the right fit for you and your family. Perhaps adding more brown rice flour or kamut. Let us know how it turns out!

Anonymous said...

My wife can't have any coconut. What would be best substitute?

In The Kitchen With Honeyville said...

You can substitute regular butter in place of the coconut oil. Thanks for the question!