Monday, January 6, 2014

Cinnamon Syrup Recipe

















I've said it before and I'll say it again...I LOVE BREAKFAST!  Waffles, Pancakes, French Toast, Muffins, Oatmeal, Cereal, Breakfast Burritos, Eggs and Toast, etc I love it all for any meal of the day.  I don't know if it is a family gene type of thing but my sisters are the same way too.  We love breakfast foods.  My younger sister sent me a new syrup recipe to try and it was spectacular!  And a recipe this good needs to be shared.  Get ready for some serious deliciousness...

Ingredients:
3/4 cup Honeyville Granulated Sugar
1/4 cup Honeyville Brown Sugar
1/8 tsp Salt
2 Tbs Corn Starch or Ultra Gel
1/2 tsp Cinnamon (or try using Chef Tess' Wise Woman of the East Spice Blend)
3/4 cup Water
1 tsp Vanilla
2 Tbs Butter

Directions:
In a medium saucepan add the granulated sugar, brown sugar, salt, corn starch, and cinnamon.


Mix them together.  Add the vanilla to the water and pour over the dry ingredients.


Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.  Reduce heat to medium and continue boiling and stirring until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in butter until all melted and smooth.


Let cool 10 minutes before serving as it is hot as lava.  Syrup will continue to thicken as it cools.  Makes about 1 cup.

Now that you have this delicious syrup, the tough choice begins what should you pour it over!  Let me give you a few of my favorite options...

6 Grain Waffles-my family's favorite homemade waffle recipe EVER.


Blender Wheat Pancakes with Zucchini-anytime you can get some veggies as part of your meal is ok by me!  Bonus points for using the whole grain wheat kernels.


Basic Farina-normally I'd season my hot cereal with maple syrup and brown sugar so why not switch it up and use the cinnamon syrup instead?  Sounds like a winning idea in my book!


Happy Eating!

No comments: