Thursday, January 30, 2014

Almond Flour Lemon Cake Recipe
















Lemons and baking. Is there any better combination? Think about your favorite baked treat, or a delicious meal you've had lately. Anytime you ask "What's that I'm tasting" nearly every time the response is "Lemon!"

Yes, whether it's pies, pastries, cakes, or cookies, nothing makes a sweet dessert even better like the tangy, sweet taste of lemon! So you can imagine how excited I was when I found this delicious cake recipe, focused specifically on, well, lemons! Even better, it uses our amazing Blanched Almond Flour! I pulled the original recipe from josefbrandenburg.com and knew I had to share it with you. It's completely gluten free and has a sugar free option if you choose to substitute our granular erythritol for the sugar. Either way, you simply can't pass on this one. Grab some lemons from grandma's old lemon tree and let's get baking Almond Flour Lemon Cake!

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder
Dash of Salt
Lemon zest form 1 lemon
2 tsp Lemon Juice
1/2 cup Butter, softened
4 oz Cream Cheese
1 cup Sugar
5 Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla

Lemon Frosting:
4 Tbsp Butter, softened
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


In a large mixing bowl, beat butter, cream cheese, and sugar together with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Add eggs, vanilla, almond flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest, and lemon juice and mix until a smooth batter forms.


Pour batter in a greased 9 inch cake pan and bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Place cake on cooling rack and allow to cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on rack for an additional hour.


While cake is cooling, begin your frosting. Combine butter, lemon juice, and powdered sugar, and mix together until a soft frosting forms.


Frost cooled cake, slice up and serve.


This cake bakes up so moist and delicious, you won't believe it's gluten free! The sweet taste of lemon is packed in every slice, and the lemon frosting is the perfect addition to this already delicious treat! Bake this up for a tasty after-dinner dessert, or for a simple family get-together. This is everything you've wanted in a lemon dessert, and the whole thing is gluten free! Did we mention that already?


Lemons and baking, they've never tasted so good!

10 comments:

Barb said...

Hi...this cake looks great and I can't wait to make it. How much sugar substitute would I use, and what do I use in place of the powdered sugar? Thanks in advance for your help.

Cookin' Cousins said...

Hi Barb! You can use the same measurement of Granular Erythritol as you would for sugar, 1 cup. I'm not sure what you'd substitute for the Powdered Sugar though. Thanks for the question!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barb,

Why not use your spice or coffee grinder to whizz up your own powdered erthritol? I've made my own powdered sugar that way. It works great. You could even use a high powered blender.

Carol

Anonymous said...

Hello. What about using Coconut Palm sugar? I am trying not to use granulated sugar at all. Thank you!

Cookin' Cousins said...

You can definitely give Coconut Sugar a try. It would probably really enhance the coconut taste!

Eric said...

Thank you for giving the info on the sugar free option. I have to avoid simple carbohydrates, but love to bake. Thanks for letting me know how to do so.

fabricpixie said...

I use confectioners Swerve in place of powdered sugar ... all natural, no aspartame or chemicals and it is cup for cup substitution.

gonna make this today, looks and sounds great, my mouth is watering already just thinking of the lemon ... yummm

sue in CA

Anonymous said...

Wow... I never, EVER, post a comment but this time, I had to make an exception. After three failed attempts to make a gluten-free lemon cake for my mom's 70th birthday, I stumbled upon this recipe. I followed the recipe exactly, which I never normally do, and the cake turned out phenomenal!!!

JulieB said...

I made this cake, and it was delicious. It was unbelievably moist and so easy to make. I only got one piece of it because my husband liked it so much. I used the sugar free option, and it did not taste sugar free. It was such an easy and delicious recipe that I will make it often. This one is a real winner.

Sharon said...

How many carbs are in this recipe?