Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Holiday Raspberry Fudge with Chef Brad

















Christmas time is really a great celebration of food. I try all year to eat healthy so that when December rolls around I am ready to relax and enjoy the season. And I do enjoy the season! From wonderful baked breads, popcorns, savory foods, and of course sweets. My fondest memories of Christmas revolve around homemade fudge. I love the stuff and I am really glad that I only make it in December because I have no control. Fudge is an amazing treat and so often it is done wrong. I love the creamy ones that have depth to the flavor and melt just perfect in my mouth.

I remember trying for years to make fudge and failing all the time. I tried every recipe I could find with no success. I measure success by how it stacks up to childhood memories. If it does not bring them back the moment it touches my taste buds, it is not the right fudge. So I gave up until I was doing a consulting job and needed to make fudge for the holiday event. I was working in a commercial kitchen with heavy pots and pans. I went to work and made the fudge. It turned out perfect and I realized that it was no my fault that my fudge never turned out. It was because of the cheap cookware I had. I learned to make really good fudge a heavy pan works best.  

Since that day I have become an expert fudge maker. I love making it and a love even more the joy it brings others. Another trick I learned is that if I poured it from the hot pan into my BOSCH mixer with the whip attachment and whipped it, it turned out creamier and set faster.  

I love adding different things to my fudge basic recipe. This year I have added Honeyville Freeze Dried Raspberries to my recipe. Oh my,  talk about a taste sensation. I love it and am certain it will become a new holiday favorite in my home. For gifts I like to buy small tins and when I empty out my BOSCH bowl I fill the small tins and give those away for a great holiday gift. Enough talk, let's make some fudge!

Ingredients:
4 1/2 cups Sugar
1 can Evaporated Milk
2 sticks Butter
1 large container Marshmallow cream
18 oz. Chocolate chips, milk or semisweet (your choice)
2 tsp Berry Extract or Vanilla

Directions:
In a heavy duty sauce pan add sugar, canned milk, and butter, turn heat on high and stir constantly until it comes to a full boil. Turn heat down to medium high and cook without stirring for 9 minutes.

While that is cooking, in your BOSCH mixer, with the wire whip attachment, add marshmallow cream, chocolate chips, raspberries, and extract.

After cooked mixture is done, pour it over ingredients in the  mixer and whip well for 2-3  minutes. Turn off, pour into lightly buttered dishes or pans, and let cool. Keep a tablespoon or two of raspberries to sprinkle over the top, if desired.


I hope you have a joyous holiday season filled with all the things that make it wonderful for you.  Enjoy the recipe and let me know how you like it.  Chef Brad~America’s Grain Guy

No comments: