Monday, December 23, 2013

Gingerbread Cookies Recipe

















Every Christmas season I think, "yahoo lets make gingerbread houses!".  And then I remember that I don't like making gingerbread houses.  My fake gingerbread/graham cracker house will inevitably fall over or the roof will cave in and really who likes to waste that much candy?!?!  So I thought my solution this year would be cookies that would be fun to decorate AND eat AND they wouldn't cave in on themselves. That's a win-win-win folks!  I had cut this recipe out of a coupon magazine years ago but have lightly adapted it to fit my family's taste buds and pantry.

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp Honeyville Powdered Whole Eggs
3 and 2/3 cup Honeyville All Purpose Flour
1 Tb Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice Blend
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Honeyville Granulated Sugar
1/2 cup Molasses
2 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 cup Shortening
1/4 cup Water
Any supplies or toppings desired for decorating  (frosting, sprinkles, candies, etc)

Directions:
In a bowl mix the egg powder, flour, Wise Woman of the East spice, and salt together.  Quickly stir together then set aside.


In a large pot bring the sugar and molasses to a boil.


Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda.


Add the shortening and stir until completely melted.


Stir in the water.  Add the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until everything is mostly combined.


Turn dough out onto a clean work surface and knead until smooth.


Roll dough out until about 1/4 inch thick.  Cut into desired shapes.


Cut away excess dough and transfer shapes using a spatula to a baking mat/parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 5-7 minutes (my shapes were a little bit bigger than the palm of my hand--if you use a bigger cookie cutter increase the time accordingly).  You want the cookies to be puffy and golden brown.


Allow cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes after removing them from the oven before transferring to a cooling rack to continue the cooling process.  Repeat the kneading/rolling/cutting/baking steps for remaining dough.

Decorate cookies as desired.


I thought I was funny and made a plate of carolers and two guys who didn't know the words but were happy to hum along!  Or maybe they were waiting for their solo parts...


And of course I had some little helpers that insisted that I make a cookie of them and our family...


But there are no rules for decorating so have fun with it!  The cookies are soft but sturdy enough that I think you could cut out house shapes and make a traditional house to decorate.  But once you smell the dough  you'll want to eat it up.  From this Gingerbread Family to yours we wish you a Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Happy Eating!

No comments: