Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Cinnamon Nuts Recipe

















Need a neighbor gift idea this season?  Want your house to smell delicious?  Want to snack on something tasty?  My answer to all questions is this: Cinnamon Nuts!  I first had these a few years ago but stumbled across a recipe the other day and I knew I had to make them.  Especially when I saw how easy they'd be to make, and no special equipment required!

Ingredients:
2 tsp Honeyville Powdered Egg Whites
2 Tbsp Hot Water
1 lb Raw Nuts (I used Almonds here but I think Pecans would be a stellar choice too!)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Honeyville Brown Sugar, packed
1/2 cup Honeyville Granulated Sugar
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon or try Chef Tess' Wise Women of the East Spice Blend

Directions:
In a large bowl whisk together the powdered egg whites and water until foamy. It'll take like 3 seconds, these egg whites are amazing!


 Stir in the vanilla.  Add almonds.  Lightly toss to coat all nuts.


In a separate small bowl combine the remaining ingredients--brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and cinnamon.  Mix them all together.


Pour the sugar mixture over the almonds and toss to evenly coat.


Spread nuts in a single layer onto a greased jelly roll pan (aka Cookie Sheet in my house!).


Bake in a 250 degree preheated oven for 1 hour, turning over almonds every 15 minutes.  Allow almonds to cool completely. 


Store in an airtight container.   I found these simple zip-top baggies with Santa topper in the "dollar section" at my last shopping trip.  I knew they'd be perfect to use for neighbor gifts.  You could easily make your own at home.


Is it bad I want to deliver one of these gifts to myself?  I think they'd be great to have while reading a good book with a steaming mug of Honeyville Hot Chocolate to accompany it! 

Happy Eating!


No comments: