Thursday, August 1, 2013

Blueberry Coconut Bread Recipe
















Hello Honeyville fans! My name is Nicole, and I am the blogger behind Prevention RD, a healthy recipe blog. I'm also the author of Prevention RD's Healthy Everyday Cooking, a cookbook featuring 100 healthy recipes.

I am a registered dietitian by day and do a little bit of everything, from running a hospital kitchen to diabetes education. I love my day job, but my role as a writer and recipe developer is just as fun, exciting and challenging. After completing my first cookbook, I was approached to write a gluten free cookbook that features my favorite gluten free flour alternative: Almond Flour! I couldn't say no, even as someone who does not follow an exclusively gluten free lifestyle. As an RD and diabetes educator, I understand the important role of healthy fats, protein, vitamins, minerals, and fiber in a diet, leading me to my love of Almond Flour.

However, what I've learned through developing these recipes is that not all almond flour is made equal. In fact, almond flour can be quite challenging to work with. But once you find that magical blend of perfect Almond flour and other ingredients, the results are true perfection. That's where Honeyville's Blanched Almond Flour comes in. I fell in love with it on the first try. My gluten free development has been a huge success with the help of Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour.

I am honored to be sharing one of my favorite recipes, Blueberry Coconut Bread, with you today. There is something about blueberries, almond flour, and coconut that make my heart skip a beat. I hope the same goes for you. Enjoy!

Blueberry Coconut Bread



Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
1/2 cup Honeyville Organic Coconut Flour
1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt
6 large Eggs
1 1/2 cups Unsweetened Applesauce
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Honey
1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or Freeze Dried Blueberries
1/3 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes

Yield: 4 mini loaves (6 slices each)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mist mini loaf tins with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk to combine the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk eggs together. Add the applesauce, vanilla, and honey. Whisk well to combine.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well. Gently fold in blueberries and coconut flakes. Distribute the batter between each of the four mini loaf tins and bake for 35 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick is cleanly removed.

Allow to cool completely before slicing.


I love this recipe and am so glad to share it with you, but now it's your turn. What's your favorite way to use Almond Flour?

13 comments:

Charlotte Moore said...

I have made pancakes and cookies with almond flour. I like it much more than the coconut flour.

Anonymous said...

This looks really good! I have a couple of questions.

Is 1 cup almond flour equivalent to 4oz?

Also, how long should I bake this quick bread if I make it in a larger 9"x5" bread pan?

Thanks!

Biz said...

That bread looks amazing Nicole - great guest post!

Sadly, I don't think I've ever tried almond flour, but I think I may need to fix that - stat!

Anonymous said...

Sounds great & I'd like to make it this weekend. I have all the ingredients. One question...I don't have those small bread pan pans either. I do have 9 x 5 and two 7 x 3 pans. Would using the two 7 x 3 pans be okay? Thanks!

P.S. I've enjoyed using the Honeyville Almond Flour. Just used it today for an elanaspantry.com brownie recipe.

Clifton Day said...

would it be possible to sub the ccut flower for tapioca flour? i find that cocout flour leaves a stale taste that overtakes the bread, and tapioca has a delightful flover and moist consistency.

Cookin' Cousins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cookin' Cousins said...

1 cup of Almond Flour is approximately 4 oz.

You could use a 9x5 or 7x3 pan, but we'd suggest increasing bake time to 45-50 minutes, checking with a toothpick when done.

We haven't tried the recipe with Tapioca Flour, but if the consistency is the same, it should work fine, though it would change the taste drastically.

cody said...

Made this bread for the Sunday school class at church. The Blueberry bread deserves a thumbs up! Thanks for sharing this recipe

Kat812 said...

Too much coconut flour, it should only need a very small amount. I would think a half cup or less would be all it needed without the almond flour.

Floshideaway said...

Good morning,
just made this recipe with one change.I do not care for honey and I stay away from sugar so I used 1/2C of Splenda instead. I made mini muffins (18) and 2 small loaves with this recipe. They turned out awesome. One recommendation though DO NOT put batter in paper cups, use non stick pan or silicone molds.

Meagan said...

UMM, Hello! This bread looks great. I love the ingredient list, and the use of applesauce. Could I bake this in larger loaf pan? Obviously they wouldn't come out so tall. Any suggestions?

Anonymous said...

I'm confused how 1 cup equals 4 oz.. A cup is 8 oz. Are you referring to weight ounces?

Cookin' Cousins said...

Yes, we're referring to weight ounce.