Thursday, March 28, 2013

Almond Flour Doughnuts Recipe
















In case you haven't figured it out already, we love doughnuts at Honeyville! And when you look at all the different Doughnut posts we've done, from Coconut Flour Doughnuts to just plain Homemade Doughnuts, it's easy to see why. They're delicious! I often catch myself scrolling through the pages of our Honeyville online store, looking at the various products and asking myself: "I wonder if I could make doughnuts out of that?"

While I haven't yet mastered the freeze dried strawberries doughnut (and I emphasize yet), one combination I have found is our Blanched Almond Flour and doughnuts! Enjoy this delicious, and gluten free, addition to our Honeyville Doughnut family!

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cup Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice
6 Tbsp Honeyville Powdered Whole Eggs
1/4 cup Unsalted Butter, Melted
2 Tbsp Honey
1/2 tsp Vanilla

Topping (Optional):
1/2 cup Sugar
1 tsp Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice
1 stick of Butter, melted

Directions:
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.



In a large mixing bowl, sift Almond Flour, Nutmeg, Salt, Baking Soda, and Wise Woman of the East Spice together.
In a separate bowl, combine Vanilla, Butter, Honey, and Powdered Whole Eggs and whisk together.


Combine dry and wet ingredients and mix until batter is smooth.
Pour batter into a lightly greased doughnut pan.


Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.

While doughnuts are baking, make topping by mixing Sugar and Wise Woman of the East Spice in a small bowl, then melting butter in a separate bowl.


Once doughnuts are done baking, remove from tray and dip each doughnut in the melted butter, then in the sugar, spice blend, and place on a cooling tray. The topping is optional, but does add a lot of flavor and taste to these doughnuts.


Try this recipe for quick after-school snacks or even on-the-go breakfasts! Or maybe you're like me, and anytime is a good time for doughnuts!


16 comments:

Marisa said...

How many eggs does this recipe call for if you wanted to use fresh eggs instead?

Cookin' Cousins said...

Hi Marisa! This recipe calls for 3 eggs. An easy way to remember is that 2 Tbsp's of Powdered Egg with 4 Tbsp's makes one whole egg. Thanks for the question!

Jenn J said...

Did you purchase the donut pan from a particular vendor? I've never owned one so just wondering... (:
Thanks, Jenn

Cookin' Cousins said...

Hi Jenn!

We actually carry the doughnut pan in all four of our retail store locations! They're great and we've already used it a few times here on the blog. Thanks for the question!

Jenn J said...

Hi!
Awesome! I live in the country and there are no retail locations by me. Can I order it online?
Thanks much for your prompt response!! (:
Jenn

Cookin' Cousins said...

Unfortunately we do not carry it online. I think you would be able to find it on Bed, Bath, and Beyond though. We hope to have more kitchen items online soon!

Jehna said...

Where can we buy Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East spice mix by itself? I do not want to buy the full set.

Thanks

Cookin' Cousins said...

Hi Jehna,

Unfortunately we only sell the Chef Tess spices in a 4-pack. If you live close to one of our four retail stores, they sell them individually. I'm not sure of any other websites that sell them.

Jehna said...

I found it at Gentle Giant and ordered some. But I couldn't wait for it to come; it had been so long since I'd had a donut. So I replaced the Chef Tess Woman of the East Spice with pumpkin pie spice and I used one egg and 3 yolks I had left over from a loaf of bread I had in the machine.



The batter was thicker and stickier than I expected and I had to smooth it around with my finger to get it to go all the way around. I must have filled the molds too much because I only had enough batter for 5 donuts. I'll know better next time, and make a double batch.



The donuts were wonderful! Fluffy and light and coffee cakey. My husband and I ate them hot out of the oven after dinner with milk. Thank you for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

4 tablespoons of what? Do you mean 7 tablespoons total?

Cookin' Cousins said...

4 Tbsp of Water. So 2 Tbsp of Powder plus 4 Tbsp of water equals 1 reconstituted egg.

Kate Hunter said...

Do you have the nutritional info for these delicious looking donuts? Thanks

Mike Grimmett said...

When mixing the dry and wet together it stays dry. Ideas?

Cookin' Cousins said...

Hi Mike,

Are you using Powdered Whole Eggs in this recipe? If so, you'll need to re-constitute them. That may be why it's staying dry.

mrsthurin said...

These are AMAZING!!! I did not have the powdered eggs so I used 3 eggs.

Elise M. said...

I made these last night and they are VERY good! I feel like they are a little bit wetter thank your normal cake donut. I don't know if that is the texture I will need to get used to, or if my eggs (homegrown) were bigger than normal. Either way, I still really enjoyed these! Thank you for the recipe!