These decadent chocolate vanilla-custard cups conceal a sweet berry surprise beneath a thick creamy layer of flaugnarde-style custard and a rich dark chocolate sauce. Add a little extra love by embellishing with a heart-shaped strawberry. A sweet and romantic way to say “I love you!”
Happy Valentine’s Day!
Blessings, Kelly @ The Nourishing Home
For the Custard:
1 large egg, plus 1 egg yolk
2 tbsp Pure Honey (I prefer sage due to its mild flavor)
2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
1/2 cup Organic Heavy Cream
2 tbsp Organic Whole Milk Yogurt
Optional: Honeyville Freeze Dried Berries or Fresh Berries
For the Dark Chocolate Sauce:
1/2 cup Dark Chocolate Chips (65% cacao or higher)
1/4 cup Heavy Cream
2 tbsp Pure Honey
1 tsp Coconut Oil (or butter)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil three half-cup ramekins with coconut oil. (If using frozen berries, place them in a small bowl first and allow them to thaw completely.)
2. In a medium bowl, add the whole egg, egg yolk, honey, coconut flour and vanilla. Whisk thoroughly to combine. Next, mix in the cream and yogurt; whisk until smooth and creamy.
3. Place a few raspberries or diced strawberries in the bottom of the ramekins, if desired. (If using thawed berries, do not place any berry juices into the custard. Either discard or save the liquid for another use.)
4. Then evenly distribute the custard mixture into prepared ramekins.
5. Bake custard for about 18–20 minutes, until lightly browned along edges and set in middle (a slight jiggle in the center is fine, as the custard will continue to set a bit as it cools).
6. While the custard is cooling a bit, in a small saucepan, slowly melt the coconut oil and chocolate chips over low heat. Then whisk in the cream and honey.
7. Drizzle tops of custard cups with just a small teaspoon or two of the warm chocolate sauce (otherwise the rich dark chocolate flavor will overpower the delicate custard). Use back of spoon to evenly distribute the chocolate across top.
8. Place a heart-shaped strawberry on top, if desired! Serve warm. Be prepared for hugs and kisses!