Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Carrot Cookies Recipe

If zucchini can be in bread, then carrots can be in cookies!  These cookies bake up soft and moist.  These were a favorite of mine growing up.

Ingredients:
Cookies:
3/4 cup Honeyville Shortening Powder
2 cups Sugar
1/4 cup Honeyville Powdered Whole Eggs
1 cup Water
2 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsp Vanilla
2 cups mashed Honeyville Dehydrated Carrots
1 tsp Salt
4 cups Honeyville Flour

Glaze:
3 Tbsp Orange Juice
1 cup Powdered Sugar
pinch of Salt
Zest of 1 Orange (optional)

Directions:
Begin making the cookies by preparing the carrots.  Rehydrate them then mash to make 2 cups.  In a large bowl mix together shortening powder, sugar, whole eggs, and water.  Add remaining ingredients and mix until everything is incorporated.  Chill dough 1 hour.  The dough will be closer to a brownie dough and not a typical cookie dough.  Using a tablespoon cookie scoop place each cookie on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake in a preheated oven 375 degree for 15 minutes.  While the cookies are cooking, make the glaze.  In a small bowl whisk ingredients together until smooth.  Once cookies are done transfer to a cooling rack.  Let them cool slightly, then dip each cookie top into the glaze. Transfer back to the cooling rack to cool completely.

Yields about 5 dozen cookies.

Like I said, these are some of my favorite.  I remember one time my 2nd grade class was having a read-a-thon and we could bring a treat.  I brought a couple of cookies for me but realized once I got to school we were supposed to bring a treat to share.  Needless to say I was so embarrassed that I did something wrong so I hid them in my desk and tried to sneak eat them.  Not that I minded eating all the cookies myself mind you :).  Since this makes about 5 dozen cookies, you'll have plenty to share.

Happy Eating!

1 comment:

Cami said...

My favorite cookies ever!