Monday, October 1, 2012

Sloppy Joes Recipe

Sloppy Joes have always been one of my go-to meals on a busy night...or a slow night if I am being honest.  In the past I've used one of those canned sauces, but after discovering this recipe I'm saying bye-bye to the can.  It is a pretty straight forward recipe and it comes together in one pan so hip hooray for not as many dirty dishes!  This recipe was adapted from thepioneerwoman.com.

Ingredients:
2 and 1/2 cups Honeyville Freeze Dried Ground Beef
1/2 cup Honeyville Freeze Dried Bell Peppers
1/4 cup Honeyville Dehydrated Onions
1 Tbsp Honeyville Tomato Powder
2 and 1/3 cups Water
1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
1/3 cup Ketchup
1 and 1/2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Chili Powder
1 tsp Dry Mustard
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
In a large skillet over medium heat, stir together all ingredients and let simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes.  Stir occasionally.  Taste mixture and adjust seasonings according to preference (for more of a kick try adding in some red pepper flakes or Tabasco Sauce).

Serve on toasted buns.  Sometimes we like to top the sloppy joes mixture with cheese.  Please note that I did NOT rehydrate the Honeyville products before adding them into the skillet. 

Enjoy!

1 comment:

lfhpueblo said...

My family adds a can of pork and beans to sloppy joes to make them go farther and to add some more fiber to them. If the sauce for the sloppy joes is really good, you don't really even taste the pork and beans. My mother did this when raising five kids, for a family of seven, it was the only way to stretch a dollar. Beans are always cheaper than meat. The sloppy joes did have ground beef, just not as much as someone would expect for a recipe to feed seven. I still prefer my sloppy joes with the pork and beans added in, as I find them more filling.