Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe
















It's a pleasure to be a guest here at The Cookin' Cousins blog. I'm a huge fan of Honeyville blanched almond flour because, as my Test Kitchen Showdown proved, it consistently produces lighter, fluffier baked goods.


One of my favorite ways to use almond flour is to create delicious desserts that are chock-full of healthy whole food ingredients, like this perfectly pumpkin-y cake.

This incredibly moist and delightful treat really captures the fabulous flavors of fall, and it always gets rave reviews from kids and adults alike. We hope you and your family enjoy it too!

Wishing you a Happy Fall!


Pumpkin Spice Cake (GF)



Yield: 8 servings
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 1/4 cups Honeyville Blanched Almond Flour
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
 Cream Cheese Frosting
  • 6 oz organic cream cheese, room temp
  • 1/3 cup raw honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup heavy cream (raw milk cream, or pasteurized only is best)
 Directions:
1. First make the batter: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove the bottom round of a 9x3-inch springform pan. Using parchment paper, trace the bottom round and cut the paper to fit the bottom neatly. Place the bottom back into the springform pan and secure in place. Lightly oil the pan and then place the parchment cut-out into the bottom of the pan and lightly oil it as well. (If you don't have a springform pan, you can use a parchment-lined 9x9-inch baking dish instead.)
2. In a small bowl, combine the almond flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin spice. Set aside.
3. Using an electric hand mixer, blend (on low speed) the pumpkin puree, maple syrup, eggs and vanilla for 1- 2 minutes, until well combined. Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet and continue mixing for a full minute, until smooth and well blended.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan, making sure to even out the top.
5. Bake for approximately 25-28 minutes, until a toothpick insert in center comes out clean. Allow to cool completely, then place in the fridge to chill.
6. While the cake is baking, make the frosting: Using an electric hand mixer, blend together the first three Cream Cheese Frosting ingredients until smooth and creamy.
7. In a separate bowl, whip the cream until soft, stiff peaks form.
8. Using a rubber spatula, add the cream cheese mixture to the whipped cream and gently fold the two together. Refrigerate frosting until cake is completely cooled.
9. If using a springform pan, remove the cake from the pan and place on a cake stand.
10. Frost the chilled cake and serve immediately. (Or refrigerate up to 12 hours before serving.) Enjoy.

26 comments:

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

Thanks so much for having me as a guest! I hope everyone enjoys this delicious pumpkin-y cake as much as we do! Blessings, Kelly :)

Anonymous said...

This looks awesome and yummy. Being a novice in the kitchen, I appreciate the step by step instructions and alternatives. I was thinking I don't think I own a spring foam pan - alternative it is. I love Kelly's recipes. They have been proven winners in our home. I'm going to place my order for the almond flour NOW! ;)

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I will definitely be making this! I love the idea of the healthy cream cheese frosting too!

Stefani said...

Oh wow, this look delicious. I am adding to my menu for this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Whitaker said...

What size pan did you use in this picture?

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Hi, Lisa. I use a 9x3-inch springform pan when I make this cake (see step 1), as I like to serve it on my round cake stand. But you can certainly use a 9x9 inch baking dish and either invert it onto a square serving platter or frost the cooled cake right in the pan and serve. Happy Fall to you and yours! Blessings, Kelly

Jill said...

This cake is delicious! As soon as it came to my inbox I ran up to make it. I halved the recipe and baked it in a loaf pan. Super moist, super flavorful...awesome! Thanks for a great GF recipe!

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Thanks, Jill! I am so glad you all enjoyed it! What a great idea to half it for a smaller portion! Appreciate you taking time to leave a kind note! Blessings, Kelly

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Thanks, Stefani! And good job using a meal plan! It's the best way to save time, money and stress! Blessings, Kelly

Abi said...

Looks soooo yummy! Can't wait to try it!

Kat Yorba said...

This looks SIMPLY amazing!! I have never tried baking with almond flour...this recipe might just convert me!! Thank you Kelly for creating this marvelous dessert just in time for FALL!

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Thanks, Kat! You don't have to be GF to enjoy the deliciousness of blanched almond flour! And it's as good for you as it is tasty – full of protein, fiber and nutrients. Hope you'll give it try sometime! Blessings, Kelly

Anonymous said...

I found this cake to be extremely moist, to the point of being "wet", even though I baked it a full 30 min & the toothpick was clean. Did anyone else have this experience? Should I have left it in the oven longer?

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Hi, there! If you measured out all of the ingredients as given (without substitutions) and also used the correct pan size specified in the recipe, then my guess would be it's most likely related to oven temp. Oven temps can vary - some run hot, some cooler. In addition, I've noticed that different brands of almond flour can also affect the moisture level of baked goods. But if you're using Honeyville brand almond flour, then my guess is oven temp. So my suggestion would be to extend the baking time a bit next time. Blessings, Kelly

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

P.S. This cake is supposed to be very moist, which is why I described it as "incredibly moist" but definitely not wet. As mentioned above if all things are equal, then extending the baking time a bit (and you may even wish to reduce the pumpkin puree by a tablespoon or two) will definitely help the cake to turn out nice and moist, but not wet. Just wanted to clarify a bit more. Hope this info helps. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your input. I will be trying it again, when my Honeyville flour arrives ( so no, I wasn't using that brand) Maybe reduce the pumpkin a little too. :-)

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Hope you enjoy it! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

Michelle :) said...

I was wondering...my son has a tree nut allergy so I don't think I can use almond flour. Is there an alternative that would work the same? Maybe coconut flour or spelt?? (He's able to have coconut.) Thanks! This recipe looks really good!!

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Hi, Michelle. Unfortunately, it's not possible to interchange GF flours. Baking really is a science and all the ingredients must balance precisely in order to achieve a good end product. Blanched almond flour requires a different ratio of liquids and eggs than does coconut flour or a gluten-based flour, so substituting cup-for-cup is not possible. So if you're not wanting to recreate a new recipe on your own, I would recommend instead finding a similar recipe using the ingredients that are allergy-friendly for your son, such as a google search for "spelt flour pumpkin cake." Hope this helps! Lots of blessings, Kelly :)

Lyndsey :) said...

Have you ever made this recipe into cupcakes? Curious how they bake up that way and what recommended baking time would be so I don't have to undertake to much trial and error before Thursday!

Michelle Mills said...

Hi Kelly, Have you found the Honeyville blanched almond flour in stores or do you purchase it online? I'd love to make this one for Thanksgiving...looks wonderful!

Cookin' Cousins said...

Michelle,

You can only purchase our Almond Flour in one of our 4 retail locations or through our online store, which is linked above. It's really great, give it a shot!

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Hi, Lyndsey! I haven't tried making cupcakes using this recipe, but what a great idea! I am definitely going to give it a try and if it turns out well, will let Honeyville know so they can update my post. Thank you! Blessings, Kelly

Anonymous said...

What size is the can of pumpkin you are using?

Kelly TheNourishingHome said...

Regarding the pumpkin puree - do not use a whole can, use 1 cup of pumpkin puree as called for in the recipe. You can use either canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix) or homemade pumpkin puree. Lots of blessings, Kelly

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is perhaps the best GF cake I have made. It is moist and delicious and my family didn't even realize it was gluten free. The frosting is terrific - the addition of cream instead of butter creates a nice texture and the raw honey gives it a nice flavor. Overall, a great cake!