Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Smooth Salsa Recipe

Growing up there was a great little Mexican restaurant in my town with the best salsa.  It is super duper good.  So super good that there may have been requests given to people that as they drive by on their way home to pick up an order of chips and salsa.  We might be having spaghetti for dinner but in my family we can eat chips and salsa anytime! I've moved and so has the restaurant but I used the new Honeyville Freeze Dried Onions to come up with a salsa that comes awfully close to my hometown favorite! 

Pin It




Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. Honeyville Freeze Dried Onions
1 (14.5 oz) can Diced Tomatoes, UNdrained
1 Jalapeno, ribs and seeds removed
2 Tbsp Lime Juice (about 1/2 of a juicy lime)
2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1/8 tsp. Salt
Pinch of Black Pepper

Directions:
Put all ingredients into a blender. Puree until smooth.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Makes 1 and 3/4 cups prepared salsa.

The salsa was so easy to make.  I didn't even bother hydrating the onions first.  Sometimes I like a chunky salsa but this one is a very smooth.  This shouldn't surprise anyone coming from me, but this is a very mild salsa.  There have been times that I think store bought mild salsa has too much kick--I know I am a whimp!  If desired, add more jalapenos for a hotter salsa.  Another fun thing to do when eating chips and salsa is try heating up your tortilla chips in the microwave for a few seconds. 

Happy Eating!

6 comments:

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

You did it again....I salivated! MMMmmm this is SO yummy!

Chef Tess said...

I'm soooo in love with the new FD onions! I'm going to have to try this. Hey...have you made it using the tomato powder? You wouldn't have to use the blender. Hmmm. Now you have me thinking!! BTW...I grew up in Utah mostly. Mild salsa was a way of life. Dad didn't like anything spicy...to the degree that he put ketchup on his burritos. I've come a long way but seriously sometimes all I want is something mild. Thanks for sharing! This sounds great for dad...or me. :)

Kelli said...

Add a little cumin, it makes it even yummier.

Cookin' Cousins said...

Great suggestions Chef Tess and Kelli! I'll have to try them next batch :)

Cami said...

I need to try this!

Mary said...

What a nice recipe. I can't wait to give it a try. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary