Friday, February 3, 2012

Disguising Food Storage-Replacing Oils with Beans in Baked Goods

We've mentioned on here before that oils can be replaced with bean puree in baked goods. Beans in dessert?!?!  YES please!  It is recommended that we eat 3 cups of beans per week.  I figure if I can incorporate some of those beans into dessert all the better! The only difference I could tell was that it seemed to make the end results more cake-like.  It wasn't a bad thing just slightly different.

The first I made Honeyville's Fudge Brownie Mix and added drops of Honeyville's Chocolate Chip Cookie dough into the pan and baked it...and then after it had cooled topped it with a Chocolate Ganache.  Since I made them with beans I figured I could splurge on the top!


I only used half of the cookie dough in the brownies so I baked the rest as cookies.

So let's talk more about making the bean puree. You need to cook the beans, drain/rinse them, and blend them until they are the consistency of a thick milk shake (adding water as necessary).  For the brownies I used Honeyville's Quick Cooking Black Beans and with the cookies I used Small White Beans.  Color coordinating with the dough helps to better disguise the beans.  When replacing the oil with bean puree it is a 1 to 1 ratio. No converting necessary!

Everyone who tried these desserts loved them.  I mean who doesn't like dessert?  I am pretty sure I justified eating the cookies for breakfast the next morning because they were "healthy" with the beans. I got comments like "This is really good!", "Seriously there are beans in here?"  and even "Wow these brownies are DECADENT!" So it's safe to say 2 thumbs up on this tip!

What is your best bean tip? 

Happy Eating!

8 comments:

Chef Tess said...

See...this is something I have actually never done. However, now that you say it's good I guess the chef can try it out right?! Xoxo! You guys are the best!

Anonymous said...

Are you on Pinterest? I would love to share this recipe with my pinning friends.

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

I've never tried beans in a dessert before this and THESE WERE DELICIOUS! 3 cheers for beans in dessert--hip, hip, hooray!

Cookin' Cousins said...

Yes, we are on Pinterest. We have slowly started added a few things. I found the best way to find us is by searching under people. Our name is "Honeyville." Hopefully we will be able to add more over time. Thank you for asking! I just put this post up there for you

Anonymous said...

White Bean Gravy

Can of Great Northern Beans
Couple roasted red peppers
clove of garlic
Chicken broth

So healthy, yet beantastic!

Cookin' Cousins said...

great idea! We will have to try this recipe out! THANK YOU!

Anonymous said...

Still new to your blog and the Honeyville Farms products but I must admit, I do like the idea of replacing oil by beans. Easier on my budget.
Now, I must know, do you think that you can replace all oils with beans or just certain kind?
Keep the good work!

Cookin' Cousins said...

I've had cookies that were made with pureed white beans instead of butter and brownies with black beans instead of vegetable oil. I think it'd really depend on the cooking application. You obviously couldn't use beans for frying. For most baked goods I wouldn't think there'd be a problem substituting out.