Friday, February 17, 2012

Baking Tip

Today I want to share one of the best baking tips I got from Lisa Barker, the Salt Lake Store Manager. 

When letting bread dough rise, put it in the microwave.  There you don't have to worry about any drafts, if it is too hot/cold, etc.  Don't turn the microwave on but let it sit in there and do its thing.

Genius right?  You wouldn't think something as simple as putting your dough in a controlled area would make that much difference but it does!  Because there isn't anything interfering with the process the dough should be ready to go sooner.  I'll do anything that gets me fresh homemade bread quicker!

I'd love to hear some of your tips and tricks to baking or cooking you've picked up. 

Happy Baking!

4 comments:

Kristin said...

I'm glad you shared this. I've been doing this for years. Love it! Here's one better...turn on the microwave light if you have one...you know, the one under the microwave that lights up the stove. It will make the inside of the microwave a little warmer and your dough will proof even faster and better!

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

genius! The only problem--my "big bread bowl" is a bit too big for the microwave. I guess I'll have to downsize bowls and be a little less enthusiastic when mixing.

Cookin' Cousins said...

Aimee we had another reader post on facebook that they turn on their oven light before they start making the bread so by the time the dough is ready to rise, they turn off the light and put the dough inside the oven.

Julene said...

I use the instant yeast so I only have to have the bread rise once. I know some people still do a second rise but I don't have all day to make bread (with 5 kids and all :) I knead the dough, shape into my loaf pan, let it rise for about 30-35 min. and then bake it. It comes out every time!!