Monday, November 14, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

Who doesn't like a good ole Chicken Pot Pie??? I love that in the fall I love to make "oven" foods and let my house smell so delicious! Summer is good too....but I am more in the mood for salads, and let's be honest...it doesn't leave a nice aroma in your home like putting a food dish in your oven to bake. So here is the recipe I tried last week.....and for the record, I had family visiting, so I had quite the taste-testing panel. My brother was a little hesitant since it was all food storage, but I saw him helping himself to seconds and maybe thirds!!! Two thumbs up for this recipe:



1 15oz. package pie crust (or of course, you can make your own)
1 10 3/4 oz. can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 cup Honeyville Freeze Dried Chicken
1/4 cup Honeyville Dehydrated Potato Dices
1/8 cup Honeyville Dehydrated Onions
1/2 cup Honeyville Freeze Dried Celery**
1/4 cup Honeyville Freeze Dried Peas
1/4 cup Honeyville Freeze Dried Corn
1/4 cup Honeyville Dehydrated Carrots
1/8 tsp. Pepper
1/4 tsp. Ground Sage
1/4 tsp. Rosemary


*All Freeze Dried and Dehydrated product amounts are BEFORE re-hydration. Curious on how I knew how much to use? This little handy chart has the answer for you.
**Rumor has it Freeze Dried Celery should be hitting the stores very soon!...no set date yet...we will announce when it is here. But I LOVE the product already! In the meantime, you can use Honeyville Dehydrated Celery.


Directions:
Re-hydrate all Honeyville product according to package instructions. Drain. Combine all re-hydrated products, soups, herbs, and spices. Unfold pie crust and fit into pie pan. Fill with mixture and cover with second pie crust. Press edges with fork. Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees, then reduce heat to 350 degrees for an additional 40 minutes.


Top: Potato Dices, Peas and Corn, Carrots
Bottom: Chicken, Onions, Celery
I separated mine like this because I didn't want to combine any dehydrated and freeze dried products, knowing the re-hydration time differs. I also don't like to mix my onions with any other product. And of course, the potatoes and chicken need boiling water. My way is not the only right way, so feel free to combine to use less bowls


We ate this for leftovers today and it was still delicious!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Beth said...

This sounds delicious! I was wondering if you could explain in more detail what the differences are in freeze dried vs dehydrated food are and the advantages or disadvantages of each? That's one area where I feel like I don't have enough knowledge! Thank you!

Chef Tess said...

Ah! I'm with you! Great minds think alike! I made a beef pot pie from food storage for Pie week when I did the food storage pie class. ( http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2011/11/country-style-cheeseburger-veggie-pot.html) Great pie crust recipe there if you need one. I think chicken is totally next! Thanks for sharing...OH and I'm freakishly excited about the freeze dried celery! That's awesome!!

Cookin' Cousins said...

Beth, there is a brief answer here: http://honeyvillefarms.blogspot.com/p/promotions.html (under our FAQ Tab) and we have a You Tube Video about it that should be out in the next 2 weeks. Stay posted and hopefully we will get a more detailed answer to you. Thanks for reading!

Amateur Cook said...

Yep, nice chart. Don't know if it will ever come in handy for me, but thanks for it anyway!