Monday, September 5, 2011

Chef Tess' Recipe: Spiced Buttermilk Peach Carrot Crumb-Cakes with Maple Hazelnut Glaze

Is your mouth watering just from the title?  Well how about a little picture for some added enticement?

Chef Tess made this recipe awhile ago.  I had bookmarked the recipe wanting to try it and I am so glad I did!  Deliciousness for all the senses!  They look superb, they smell delicious, they taste amazing, the texture is moist and soft, and if they could talk I'm sure we'd hear the muffins say "I can't even believe I am this good!"  I did alter a couple of things (used powdered eggs and vanilla powder instead of the "real" thing) but otherwise this genius concoction is Chef Tess'.  Enjoy!

Eating these totally got me yearning for Fall. Something about baking with spices makes me want to carve a pumpkin and think about what elastic waisted pants I should wear for Thanksgiving.  (This year with baby #2 on the way I might just skip pants all together and wear a mu-mu as I waddle to the food tables).  But you didn't really want to read about me and waddling right?  Let's get to it:

Spiced Buttermilk Peach Carrot Crumb-Cakes with Maple Hazelnut Glaze
Recipe by Chef Tess

Ingredients:


Spiced Crumb Cakes:
1 1/2 cups Honeyville Freeze Dried Peaches
1/2 cup Honeyville Dehydrated Carrots
1 cup Boiling Water
3/4 cup Vegetable Oil
3/4 cup Sugar
3/4 cup Honeyville Six Grain Rolled Mix
1 Tb. Chef Tess Wise Women of the East Spice and Floral Blend
2 tsp Wayzata Bay Vanilla Powder
1/2 cup Honeyville Powdered Whole Eggs
1 cup Water (yes this is a SEPARATE amount from the water listed above)
zest of one Orange
2 1/2 cups Honeyville Buttermilk Pancake Mix

Streusel Crumb-Cake Topping:
2 1/3 cup Honeyville Buttermilk Pancake Mix
1/2 cup melted Butter (no substitutions)
2/3 cup Sugar
2 tsp Chef Tess Wise Women of the East Spice and Floral Blend

Maple-Hazelnut Glaze:
1/4 cup Maple-Hazelnut Whipped Honey
1-2 tsp Hot Water
1/4 tsp Maple Extract
1 cup Powdered Sugar

Directions:
Start making crumb-cake batter by combining: freeze dried peaches, dehydrated carrots and 1 cup boiling water in a glass or metal bowl.  Make sure that all the pieces get a dunk into the water (I just used a fork to pat down the top to make sure everything got dunked once) and set them aside and let them hydrate for 10 minutes. 
If you bought a can of Freeze Dried Peaches that are in larger chunks, I'd recommend carefully chopping them into a smaller chop/dice.  Just so they are a better sized match to the carrots.  You don't need them exact.
In a separate large bowl, add vegetable oil, sugar, six grain rolled mix, spice blend, vanilla powder, powdered eggs, remaining water, and orange zest. Give it a quick stir with a spoon.  Add the UNdrained peaches and carrots as well as the buttermilk pancake mix.  Beat by hand 100 strokes.
Scoop into paper lined muffin tins, filling each cup 3/4 full.
Set them aside while you whip up the streusel topping.

Mix together the dry ingredients first (buttermilk pancake mix, sugar, and spice blend) and then add the melted butter.  Stir until its "chunky-crumbly".  When I first started stirring (using a fork) I thought I'd need more butter but trust me, just keep mixing to incorporate everything and it'll end up just fine, like this:

At this point in the recipe I KNEW Chef Tess and I were kindred spirits.  She says "Generously top your cakes with the topping.  I'm not going to lie...I like a lot of crumb on my cakes." I couldn't agree more.  The more streusel topping the merrier!
Bake at 350 for 15-18 minutes.  (She does point out that this recipe as stated above was for low altitude but I didn't have any problems with it at 4300 ft.  If you are worried, you can add 1/4 cup of Honeyville Hi-Maze Resistant Starch or 1/4 cup All Purpose Flour to the crumb cake batter)
This picture doesn't do them justice, they look super flat here but they were really nice and pretty.
Once they come out of the oven begin making your glaze.  Put the honey and water in a microwave-safe bowl and heat 10-15 seconds.  Stir well.  Add the extract and powdered sugar.  Stir until smooth. 

Drizzle over semi-cooled muffins (if they are too warm the glaze will absorb into the cakes, which is fine, but it's a fun presentation factor too with the glaze all pretty on top).  If a few drops drip down it's okay, after having your first bite you know you'll want to lick the plate clean.  And no one will care because everyone will be licking their plates not wasting a single crumb.  I got about 21 muffins from the batch.


Have a tall glass of milk handy because you won't want to leave your crumb-cakes to get it.  It was the perfect breakfast for me (hey they have pancake mix AND six grain mix AND powdered eggs in them plus some fruit so no judging)!  Don't be wary of the dehydrated carrots in these.  One of my very, very favorite cookies have carrots in them. It was really fun to re-purpose the pancake mix into a crumb-cake.  Maybe I'll have to start buying that mix by the case now (remember how I told you about how much I went through in one year here). 

You can now purchase Chef Tess' spice blends as well as the Wayzata Bay lines at our retail stores (brick and mortar).  If you don't live close to any of our 4 locations feel free to browse Chef Tess' Etsy Shop for her blends.  The Wise Women of the East blend is a intoxicating blend of cinnamon, spice, citrus, and hints of calming lavender and rose petal. Some of the customers at our SLC store have commented just leaving a jar next to their pillow for a calming aroma as they drift off to sleep.  The Vanilla Powder can be substituted with pure vanilla extract in a 1:1 ratio.

Alright time for another crumb-cake!  Thanks for reading.

Happy Eating!

3 comments:

Chef Tess said...

You are awesome! Thank you for sharing the love! Yes...my kindred crumb cake spirit! Xoxo!

Cami said...

Wow these are so different than anything I've ever tried. So wishing we would have came back to your house to try them!!! Guess I'll have to whip up a batch. Sounds delicious!

Aimee & Brennen Fuller said...

Ditto to Cami's comment. I love a crumb cake and throw some peaches to the mix and I'm sold.