Hi all you readers out there that were dying to be at Chef Tess' amazing Bold Better Bread Class in Chandler, AZ last Saturday. We have some info to share with you. First, her handout is awesome and step by step of the class she taught. She has given you a PDF of it (thank you Chef Tess!). Click here to get it. Remember, to give credit to Chef Tess if you will be passing this info along. Along with her handout, here are a few additional notes:
- She makes her bread in a 3.5 gallon New Generation Bucket (sold at Honeyville Stores). She uses it for every step...the mixing of the ingredients as well as letting the bread rise in it. How convenient is that? She can walk around while mixing it and when it's ready to rise, she just slaps the lid on! No dirtying other dishes! She made bread during the class to show us the steps...it was awesome!
- Add little yeast as possible and let the bread rise longer
- Grains LOVE water! So let them soak first and they will be your friend! This is when you are using whole grains (not ground) directly in your bread making.
- Time to let grains soak for:
- Teff: 20 minutes
- Amaranth: 6 hours
- Quinoa: Cook it
- Spelt: 24 hours
- Hard Wheats: 24 hours
- If cooking bread in a Solar Oven, put your bread in before it has completely risen. Let it cook for about 15 minutes with the LOWER latch unlatched, and then latch it and let it finish cooking. Total time in Sun Oven will be about 50 minutes
- Don't put your bread in the fridge. Plastic wrap it to store on the counter or wrap it with plastic wrap AND foil and freeze it. It was go stale faster in the fridge than on your counter.
Then when the class was over, I grabbed a taste Chef Tess' bread with Honeyville's Powdered Peanut Butter...yummy!
Remember for a list of classes at the Retail Stores check out our tab.
For more recipes and ideas, visit Chef Tess' blog at: http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/
Thank you Chef Tess!