Friday, August 19, 2011

Creamy Cheesy Rice

Sometimes I get stuck in a rut when I am trying to figure out a side dish for a meal.  I mean you can only have plain rice or potatoes so many days a week before it gets a little blah and boring.  Okay sometimes even just once a week of plain rice is a little boring.  I had some chicken I need to use so my go to dish would be rice, but I needed to vamp it up somehow, someway.  I searched the internet for some sort of rice dish and found this on cooks.com.  I tweaked some things and incorporated my food storage and was pleasantly pleased at the results!

This dish was a very welcomed site on the plates and our taste buds loved it too!


Creamy Cheesy Rice
Recipe Adapted from cooks.com

Ingredients:
1 cup Honeyville's Parboiled Rice, uncooked
1 cup Honeyville's Freeze Dried Broccoli
2/3 cup Honeyville's Freeze Dried Cheddar Cheese, divided
2/3 cup Honeyville's Freeze Dried Monterey Jack Cheese, divided
1 10 oz. can Cream of Mushroom Soup
2 and 1/4 cups Water
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper

Directions:
In a medium-sized sauce pan, combine Parboiled Rice and Water.  Bring to a boil, stir rice, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 15-17 minutes until rice is done.  (Rice will be wet, but there shouldn't be any standing water.)  While Rice is cooking, preheat oven to 350 and start rehydrating Broccoli and both Cheese types. 

Quick Side Note:  To rehydrate put product in bowl/dish, cover with water and let sit until ready. Sometimes I'll hydrate things together if they are similar products, but where I needed the cheese and broccoli at different times in the recipe I kept them separate for this dish. 

Drain Broccoli and Cheese well.  In a 2 quart casserole dish mix together Parboiled Rice, Broccoli, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Salt, Pepper, 1/4 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, and 1/4 cup Cheddar Cheese.


Once everything is thoroughly mixed together, smooth top of dish and sprinkle the remaining Cheese.


Bake at 350 for 25-35 minutes until cheese melts and begins to brown slightly.


This dish was really good--way better than the chicken we had that night!  I think everyone had seconds of the rice but left the chicken and other veggies alone :)  I think it could very easily be made into a main dish casserole by throwing in some Freeze Dried Chicken or Turkey and if you wanted more veggies!  Also if you wanted to use Brown Rice or White Rice it can be easily substituted but you may have to change the water requirements and cooking time for the rice.

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

Brenda said...

Looks delish!

Cami said...

Yummy, we'll have to try this Sunday!