Wednesday, April 6, 2011

"Fried" Quinoa

Thanks to comments from our Facebook Friends I decided to take the plunge and try Quinoa.  I've heard tons of great health benefits of it but never got around to trying it myself.  Did you know that Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a complete protein?  Totally is.  Did you know that it is gluten-free?  Yep it is! 

I read that it cooks just like rice, and I love fried rice, so I thought I'd start off easy and make "Fried" Quinoa.


Ingredients:
2 and 1/2 cups Water, divided
1 cup Honeyville's Quinoa
2 Tb. Honeyville's Dehydrated Carrots
2 Tb. Honeyville's Dehydrated Onions
1/4 cup Honeyville's Freeze Dried Peas
4 Tb. Honeyville's Whole Egg Powder
1 and 1/2 Tb. Soy Sauce
1 clove Garlic, minced

I realize that this doesn't show all ingredients but at least you can sort of see what Quinoa looks like before it is cooked. 
It is a really small seed.  Peas, onions and carrots are also shown in this picture.
Directions:
In a pot bring 2 cups of water to a boil.  In a small mesh, metal strainer rinse the Quinoa.  Make sure it is a small mesh otherwise everything will rinse right on through.  Mine is small and still a few got through.  Add Quinoa, Carrots, Onions, and Peas to the boiling water.  Cover and reduce heat.  Allow to simmer 20 minutes, or until water has evaporated.



Transfer cooked Quinoa and veggies to a large greased skillet.  Arrange the grain to be in a ring leaving a good portion of the middle open.  This exposed area will be for cooking the garlic and egg.

The center should have been bigger, I learned my lesson after I poured in the egg mixture.
Over medium high heat saute the Garlic in the middle of the pan.  While that cooks combine Whole Egg Powder and remaining 1/2 cup of Water. Once the garlic is fragrant pour in the egg mixture.

See I told you the center needed to be bigger!
Some of the Quinoa will mix into your scrambled egg mixture and that's okay.  Once the egg is scrambled and cooked, drizzle the Soy Sauce over everything and toss to meld the flavors.

Here are a couple other tips when making this:
  • I was really surprised how much this made.  From that 1 cup of Quinoa I got about 4 and 1/2 cups finished product! 
  • For the greased skillet I recommend using an oil over a cooking spray.  I thought the garlic sauteed better. I used Canola.
  • When you get to the part about cooking the garlic and egg, use a small burner on your stove.  The Quinoa is already cooked and warm so you don't want to dry it out.  You only need the middle hot to saute the garlic and cook the egg.  
What recipes do you like using Quinoa?   Tenille has posted Quinoa Sushi and Quinoa Salad.  It really is easy to use and yummy to eat.  Try Quinoa today!  You can purchase Quinoa at the retail stores and it comes in a 5 lb. package.

Happy Eating!

5 comments:

Cami said...

What a great idea! Looks yummy.

Brenda said...

That looks so good! I've been curious about quinoa, but haven't tried it.
Do you know anything about how well it stores? I specifically wondered if it had a shorter shelf life, like brown rice, or stores well like white rice.
Looking forward to getting some and trying out your recipe! Even my husband thought it looked good!

Cookin' Cousins said...

Brenda,
Quinoa will store for about 1 year, but can last up to 8 years if stored with oxygen packets, in a cool, dry, dark area.
Give it a try, it really is tasty!

Brenda said...

Thanks for that info! We went to our local Honeyville today and picked up some quinoa! We'll be trying your recipe! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting these recipes I an new to quinoa after attending a class with Chef Tess. I appreciate these recipes. Will be trying the fried quinoa tonight.Robin