Friday, January 21, 2011

Savory Rice

With the comments from the Blog and Facebook I thought I'd better give Brown Rice another go!  This rice dish was good-it tastes like Rice-A-Roni!  Remember how I said my husband was raised on Brown Rice?  Well anyways he was but he prefers the taste of White Rice.  BUT he totally asked to take ALL the leftovers for his lunch the next day.  I love it when he asks for the leftovers, it means I must have done something right!

Ingredients:
1 cup Honeyville's Long Grain Brown Rice
3 Tbsp. Butter
3 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
2 and 2/3 cups Water
1/4 cup Honeyville's Dehydrated Celery (not rehydrated)
1 Tbsp. Honeyville's Dehydrated Onion (not rehydrated)
1 tsp. Parsley Flakes
Black Pepper to taste (I did about 6-8 good shakes)

Directions:
In a 9x9 dish mix Brown Rice, Dehydrated Celery, Dehydrated Onion, Parsley, and Black Pepper.  Bring Water, Butter, and Bouillon Cubes to a boil and bouillon is completely dissolved.  Carefully pour mixture over rice.  Stir to combine.  Cover dish with foil.  Bake at 350 for 1 hour.  Remove foil and fluff rice with fork (careful the steam is HOT!).


Hints:
  • I've made this with Long Grain White Rice before and it was great.  Just make sure you decrease the cooking time to about 30 minutes.
  • You can use a 9x13 pan too.  Works just fine.
  • A word of caution if you use a glass dish--be careful when pouring the hot liquid into the pan.  The sudden change in temperature can cause the pan to shatter.  I know from experience.  I just stood there and had to yell for my husband come clean it up while I just stood there because I had bare feet.  It went everywhere--both the glass and liquid.  Thankfully I didn't get burned or cut badly.  I was bummed because I had to wash drawers, cupboards, and more dishes, oh yeah and make more dinner!
Happy Eating!

2 comments:

mapinkerton said...

Gonna make it for dinner tonight!

mapinkerton said...

Made this a couple of days ago. It was delicious. I did have to bake for an extra 15 minutes so all the water would be absorbed.