Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thanksgiving Idea-Paula Dean's Apple Crunch Pie

This recipe was adapted from Paula Dean's Crunch Top Apple Pie on foodnetwork.com's website.  I like finding recipes and then see how I can incorporate my food storage into them. Bonus that the recipe is easy and using the Freeze Dried Apples takes a lot of work out by not having to peel, core, and dice the apples.
Ingredients:
3 and 1/2 cups Honeyville's Freeze Dried Apples (not hydrated)
1/2 cup plus 1 Tbs Sugar, divided
4 Tbs Flour, divided
1/4 tsp plus a dash Salt, divided
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbs Lemon Juice
1 and 1/2 cups Applesauce
1 and 1/2 Tbs Honeyville's Powdered Butter (just the powder)
1 and 1/2 tsp Water
2 Tbs Milk
2 Pie Crusts (I used a freezer pie shell, plus a refrigerated crust for the top crust of the pie.)

Directions:
Hydrate the Apples.  Once hydrated, carefully drain the water and put the Apples in a large bowl. Add Applesauce, 1/2 cup Sugar, 1 Tbs. Flour, Cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp Salt.  Stir until combined. 

Note that some of the apples still have their skins on them.
 I was hesitant that this would ruin the pie but as it turns out it gives the pie a nice flavor.
Spoon mixture over pie crust.
Similar to what I did with the Mixed Berry Pie, I sprinkled some of the mostly constituted Powdered Butter on top of the filling.  Pretend it isn't there.  The Powdered Butter did not melt into the filling but acted more like a crunch topping.  I don't think the step is needed so that is why I'm leaving it out again :) 
Prepare a lattice top over your pie.  I rolled out the refrigerated pie crust onto my counter and cut it into strips.  Lay across about 3-5 strips (depending on how wide you cut your strips) in the same direction, leaving space between each strip.

Fold back every other strip halfway back (strips A, C, and E).  Lay new pie strip across perpendicularly.

Return the folded back strips to their original positions.  Fold back the strips in positions B and D.  Lay new pie strip across perpendicularly.  Repeat until Lattice top is completed. To see a completed lattice top click here.

Pinch off the overhanging crust and press together bottom crust to top crust pieces.  Brush inner top crust (not edges) with milk for even browning in the oven.  Prepare crumb topping in a small bowl by mixing together 3 Tbs Flour, 1 Tbs Sugar, dash of Salt, 1 and 1/2 Tbs Powdered Butter powder, and 1 and 1/2 tsp of Water.  Sprinkle crumb topping over pie.

Place pie on a foil lined baking sheet.  Bake in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 and bake 1 hour.  Total cooking time is 1 hour and 10 minutes.  Don't remove your pie from the oven while the temperature decreases. 

When I made this pie I was at my mom's house. Everyone really liked it. I forgot to bring a slice home for my husband. I got in trouble.  But he forgave me when I promised I'd make him another pie.

Happy Eating!



1 comment:

Brian~Cami~Rian said...

I am not even a huge fan of apple pie, but when I tried this I was in heaven. It was so delicious. And what a bonus that you don't even have to peel and chop apples! I think I might be making apple pie for Thanksgiving this year. :)