Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thanksgiving Idea-Green Been Casserole

I love Thanksgiving!  It is probably one of my favorite holidays.  I mean what isn't to love about eating (and lots of eating is encouraged) and giving thanks?!  It's a no brainer really.  Halloween easily being the least favorite, or maybe St. Patrick's day--something about dressing up just rubs me the wrong way I guess.  But this post isn't about finding out what makes me tick...

I thought it would be fun this month to incorporate Honeyville products into your typical Thanksgiving dishes.  Today's recipe has been adapted from Food Network Star, Alton Brown's recipe for Green Bean Casserole.

Ingredients:
4 cups Honeyville's Freeze Dried Green Beans (not rehydrated)
3 cups Honeyville's Freeze Dried Mushrooms (not rehydrated)
2 Tbsp Honeyville's  Dehydrated Onions (not rehydrated)
1 cup Water
1/2 tsp Shirley J's Chicken Bouillon
8 oz Heavy Cream ( I used Gossner's shelf stable version that the retail stores carry and it worked great)
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Pepper

2 Tbsp Butter
2 cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Flour
1 cup French Fried Onions

Rehydrate your veggies in separate dishes.  Remember I am a rebel and don't measure my water to do this.  I just put the veggies in their separate dishes and then poured some water over them and let them soak. Once veggies are hydrated, drain them well.  Saute Mushrooms in Butter and season with salt and pepper. 
Allow your mushrooms to cook down and they'll begin to brown a bit.  It takes about a couple of minutes.  Add the Garlic and cook for 1 minute.  Add flour and cook about 1 minute, stirring constantly.  Add the Water, Bouillon, and Heavy Cream.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
It'll get thick and creamy and oh so delicious.  Please don't lick your computer screen trying to taste this now!
Ina casserole dish combine the Green Beans and Onions.  Pour Mushroom sauce over.  Stir to combine it well and smooth out the top.
Sprinkle the French Fried Onions on top.  Bake in a 400 degree preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until completely warmed through.  Allow it to sit a few minutes before serving.

Yep I should have wiped down the sides before I popped this in the oven.
Some comments I got about this dish was that it was really good but people wanted more of the French Fried Onions--either mixed throughout the casserole or more on top.  I really like the Freeze Dried Green Beans because they taste so close to a fresh green bean straight from the garden but it's washed and cut for you. 

What dishes are you making for your Thanksgiving Day?

Happy Eating!

2 comments:

Brian~Cami~Rian said...

It was absolutely delicious and I'm shocked that it was freeze dried green beans. I would have never guessed.

Chef Tess said...

I'm a huge fan of the freeze dried green beans! They taste garden fresh. Such a shocker!! OH...and I love this recipe! Yum!!