Saturday, October 23, 2010

Egg Bread

Our family is still eating left-over soup and it just keeps getting better and better every night!! Hope your enjoying your soup too! With the soup I wanted some homemade bread. So the following recipe, which was submitted by Cathy O (thank you!), is fabulous!

Egg Bread
2 cups warm water
1/3 cup sugar
2 T. yeast
4 T powdered eggs + 8 T water of Honeyville's Powdered Eggs (equivalent to 2 large eggs)
3 T butter melted
3 T oil
1 T salt
6-7 cups Honeyville's Alta Flour

In large mixing bowl with dough hooks (I used my Bosch mixer) combine water, sugar, eggs, butter, oil and salt.  Begin to add flour.  Add yeast with about 2 cups of flour and vital wheat gluten and dough conditioner.  Add remaining flour to clean sides of bowl.  Mix for about 10 minutes.  Let dough rise for about 1 hour or double.  Punch down, form into loaves.  Let dough rise again.  Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until bread is golden and when tapped sounds hollow.  Can also brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds on bread just before putting in oven.



The first step: water, sugar, eggs, butter, oil and salt...



If you have never made bread before, I took a few pictures to help explain what I didn't understand for the longest time. Once you get close to the right amount of flour, the bread will "clean" the sides of your bowl. As you can see above, the dough is still sticking to the sides. In the picture below, I am almost finished adding flour and the sides of the bowl are clean.


The dough when first removed from my mixer 


 The dough about 1 hour later

Formed into loaves.....I know, I know, I am not the best bread maker or shaper(is that a word?)....but the taste is what matters right, not the looks??? 

About 30 mins later....

 Can you smell the bread??? I want some right now! This bread is DELICIOUS!!!
As you can see, I made regular size loaves, small loaves, and rolls. 

Thank you again Cathy O! We love it when someone submits a recipe!

Enjoy, enjoy!!! This bread is amazing!



2 comments:

Hemphill Family said...

I have made this recipe several times and now my family BEGS for me to make this bread. It is so light you wouldn't think there is ONE calorie in the whole loaf, which is why it is very tempting to eat the WHOLE thing, loaded with lots of butter. YUM!

Brian~Cami~Rian said...

I have heard so much about this bread! I'll definitely have to try it.