Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bean & Ham Soup

So my G'pa makes the BEST Bean & Ham soup. I have always wanted to duplicate it at home....but you know food just never tastes the same when you make it yourself. It always tastes better when someone else makes it. Anyway, I tried a variation of my G'pa's recipe and this is what I came up with:

-1 package of Moki Bean Soup Mix (sold at Honeyville Farms Retail Store)
(this is a package of several different types of beans, so even if you don't have this package, use the beans you do have)

-1 Ham Bone with some meat left on it
-Freeze Dried Veggies (whatever kind you want...you can see mine below)

I put the beans and ham bone in the crock pot and filled it with water, almost to the top of the crock pot.
The package says it will take about 8 hours in the crock pot to soften the beans. My crock pot must have super powers or something because it took a little less than 4 hours?! Yes, my crock pot normally cooks fast, but NOT this fast?!?

About 20 minutes before my family was ready to eat, I threw in the Freeze Dried Veggies. This time around we chose:

Bottom Left: Honeyville's Freeze Dried Zucchini
YAY!!!!! We got the Freeze Dried Zucchini in (retail store)!!! Let me tell you....AWESOME! I popped a couple in my mouth before they were re-hydrated and they were delicious to snack on! They also tasted just like zucchini once re-hydrated! I think this weekend I need to try Zucchini bread and cookies with it and see how they turn out! Doesn't that sound good?


And there you have it! This picture doesn't even do justice....the soup was YUMMMMMMMY!

My hubby said, "You can't even tell any of the veggies are freeze dried." It really was good soup. It's even better the few days afterwards when all the flavors really mix together.
The only other thing I would suggest is to add onions when you first put the beans in. It really spices up the flavor....didn't do it this time, but have in the past. Also you can try Celery Salt and Garlic Salt.

Enjoy your soup. It's totally soup season!

3 comments:

jmcline said...

Thank you for the recipes.
Can I share them with a talk I am giving at the end of January to a large tea Party group on food and water storage? or are these copyright protected? Thanks

Cookin' Cousins said...

We'd love for you to share our recipes we just ask that you state where you got the information from. Good luck with your talk!

jmcline said...

My Plan includes How much food and water is need per person. Where to order in bulk from then a weblink to your store and now I will include a weblink to the blog so they can get recipes.
Thanks