Saturday, August 28, 2010

Quinoa Salad

Remember that the August Sale ends on the 31st. You still have a few more days to pick up what you need before the sale ends! 
One of the items that is on Sale is the 5 lb. bag of Quinoa. To be honest with you, I have never had Quinoa, didn't really know what it was, or what it is used for. So after a little bit of research I found the answers I was looking for and made me some scrumptious Quinoa Salad! 


Recipe: 
2 c. of Water
1 c. of Quinoa
1/8 tsp. Salt
1/4 c. Olive Oil 
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1/4 c. Lemon Juice
3 Tomatoes, diced
1 Cucumber, diced
2 Tbsp Honeyville's Freeze Dried Green Onions-re-hydrated
2 Carrots, diced
1 c. Cilantro (you could use parsley)

In a small saucepan, bring water to boil. Add quinoa and salt. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.  Fluff with fork and let it cool. (I actually boiled my quinoa at night before I went to bed, and then put it in the fridge until the next day)

Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy the salad!



My Opinion:
The salad was perfect for me. It hit the spot and I was ready to load my plate up twice. I love colorful salads, they totally make me feel happy! ha, ha. 
My hubby has the "real" taste buds in our family, so here are his suggestions, some of which he tried on his salad:
Add Chicken
Add a Zesty Salad Dressing (such as Zesty Italian)
Add Chow Mein Noodles
Add Mandarin Oranges
Add Nuts

Quinoa:
-can be used to substitute rice or couscous in just about any meal
-cooks just like rice
-lots of yummy recipes to try (I am thinking of trying a stir-fry recipe next time)
-a great source for vitamins & minerals and high in protein

Until next time,






3 comments:

Brian~Cami~Rian said...

I'm so glad you posted on quinoa! I've heard so much about this particular food and I've really wanted to try it out! Glad you had a good experience with it. Looks good! I like your husbands suggestions as well.

Julie the Wiser said...

I tried this and loved it!!! Thanks for the sample! This recipe is a good one for all those gluten-free people out there, too! ;)

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that Honeyville has Quinoa. It is very healthy and has a very low glycemic value and is an excellent source of protein. I eat it every morning for breakfast, it is quite filling and very versatile. I use low sodium chicken broth to cook it in.