Friday, August 6, 2010

6 Grain Waffles

We love it when customers share recipes!  Margaret J. submitted this 6 Grain Waffle recipe to our Brigham City, UT retail store.  I made them this morning and gave them two thumbs way up!

Ingredients:
1 cup Honeyville's 6 Grain Rolled Mix, crumbled (I just chopped it up a bit with a knife, but next time I think I will use my blender to get it into even smaller pieces.)
1 1/2 cup Boiling Water
2 or 3 Eggs, beaten (I used Honeyville's Powdered Whole Eggs 3 Tb. Powder + 6 Tb. Water)
1/3 cup Oil
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup White Flour
1 3/4 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Salt
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 cups Buttermilk (I used regular Milk + 2 Tb. Lemon Juice)

Directions:
Pour Water over 6 Grain and let sit 5 minutes.  Add Eggs, Oil, and Sugar.  In a seperate bowl, mix White Flour, Wheat Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Baking Soda, and Cinnamon.  Alternate adding dry mixture and Buttermilk to 6 Grain mixture.  Prepare Waffle Iron and Enjoy!


Margaret gave a couple of suggestions that any sweetner can be substituted for the sugar, use the cinnamon to taste preference, or try adding a scoop of protein powder to the batter.  I found the batter to be thinner than your typical waffle batter but not to worry they cook up wonderfully.  I also felt I needed to use pan spray on the waffle iron after every other batch.  I had a couple leftover and froze them for another day.  I'll report back if they freeze well.

These waffles smelled heavenly while they were cooking.  It makes a big batch (I had like 5+ cups of batter) so invite your friends over for breakfast and share in the homemade goodness that you'll find in these waffles!

Happy Eating!






P.S. The 6 Grain is on sale for another week at our retail locations (Rancho Cucamonga, CA, Chandler, AZ, Salt Lake City, UT and Brigham City, UT) so stock up now!

UPDATED 9/20/10:
These freeze wonderfully and are awesome as pancakes too.  I have also substituted soy milk and almond milk for the buttermilk and they are super delicious.  I am eating these at least twice a week!  Love them!

4 comments:

Aimee Fuller said...

We tried these and I have to say, they are AMAZING! If you love breakfast like my husband, you will love these. They have a cinnamon french toast flavor with a waffle crunch, the best of both worlds! A must try!

Brian~Cami~Rian said...

Looks delicious!!!

Brian~Cami~Rian said...

I tried these as pancakes and they were super yummy. I like the texture the 6 grain rolled oats brings and the hint of cinnamon. We enjoyed them lots!

Janie Dee said...

My son asks me to make these for him every time he visits. We live maybe 10 miles apart! I took your suggestion and used my blender to chop up the 6 grain cereal mix. So good.